The Meredith College Honors program accepts approximately 40 intellectually gifted and ambitious students each year to participate in special opportunities and capitalize on their strength to fulfill their academic potential.
Incoming First-Year Students
To be considered for admission to the Honors program, incoming first-year students should meet the following baseline academic criteria:
- The Honors Program is test-optional for students entering in 2021.
- An unweighted academic GPA of 3.75
- Inclusion in the top 10% of her high school graduating class
Note 1: Students applying to the Honors program are encouraged to apply to the College using the Early Action Application Plan.
Note 2: Honors Program applicants are considered for Meredith’s most prestigious scholarships, the Legacy Scholarship and the Presidential Scholarship. The process is selective – a limited number of Honors Program applicants will be invited to interview with Meredith officials for the Legacy and Presidential scholarships at Scholars’ Day. Selected candidates will be notified by the Office of Admissions prior to Scholars’ Day. Candidates selected to interview are automatically admitted to the Honors Program. Legacy and Presidential Scholarship recipients are notified by March 15.
Step 1. Students meeting baseline criteria are invited to apply for admission to the Honors program. Apply Online*
Step 2. Applicants who meet the criteria and show promise to be successful in Meredith’s Honors Program are invited to interview with a faculty member and a current Honors student at Scholars Day on Saturday, February 20, 2021.
Step 3. Essays are reviewed by the director of the Honors program and, in some cases, by one additional faculty member.
Step 4. Final decisions on admission to Honors are made by the director of the Honors program.
*Log in using the Admissions Applicant Portal Temporary PIN or password you established after you submitted your application for admission to the College.
Criteria for evaluation of applications include the following:
- Strength of academic record
- Number of Honors/AP/IB classes and performance in these classes
- Strength of senior year courses and performance
- Essay or writing sample
- Academic honors and awards
- National honors (e.g., NHS, National Merit finalist)
- State and other honors (Governor’s School, Park nominee, Morehead nominee)
- Leaderships positions in school, church and community
- Letters of recommendation from teachers, counselors and alumnae
Talented and motivated transfer students are invited to apply for the Honors program at Meredith. Participation in the Honors program at a previous institution is not required. Transfer students who meet the following criteria are encouraged to apply.
A minimum of 15 credit hours completed at a previous institution (community college, college, or university)
Have at least 60 credit hours remaining to complete at Meredith College before graduation
A strong academic track record, which typically includes:
- An outstanding GPA (above 3.5)
- A challenging course selection
- A consistent record of academic and/or personal challenge and accomplishment prior to attending Meredith
The motivation and desire to participate fully in the Honors program
While most Honors students are admitted as new freshmen, a small number of exceptional students are accepted to the program mid-year. Meredith College students who meet the following requirements are encouraged to apply:
- Completion of a minimum of 15 credit hours at Meredith College (current semester included) and at least 60 hours remaining until graduation
- An outstanding Meredith College GPA (most students admitted at mid-year have a GPA above 3.85)
- A challenging course selection
- A consistent record of academic and/or personal challenge and accomplishment prior to attending Meredith College
- Motivation and desire to participate fully in the Honors program
We are looking for individuals who will both benefit from and contribute to the community of scholars that form the Honors Program.