Graphic Design Major
at Meredith College
As a graphic design major at Meredith, you’ll become adept at solving consumer-centered communication problems, develop a clear understanding of the collaborative dialogue between client, designer, and audience, and prepare yourself for a rewarding, creative career as a graphic design professional.
Our Graphic Design Major
A graphic design degree earned from Meredith will teach you how to design effective logos, posters, magazines, websites, brochures, book jackets, product packaging, and advertising campaigns.
Our graphic design program combines a background in traditional art concepts with computer design and typography skills. You will gain the skills and knowledge necessary for practice in the field by being exposed to evolving technologies and contemporary developments in graphic and web design.
You’ll gain hands-on experience by applying the skills and knowledge you’ve acquired in the classroom to real-world projects through internships in professional settings.
Why Study Graphic Design at Meredith?
- Students acquire foundational and advanced concepts, skills, and knowledge in traditional art and computer design, preparing them for diverse professional careers.
- Meredith is a signatory school on articulation agreements with the North Carolina Community College System, allowing students who have completed an Associate of Fine Arts degree to enroll at Meredith in pursuit of a B.A. in Graphic Design or Studio Art.
- Meredith’s Frankie G. Weems Art Gallery showcases various artists, media, and subject matter, with new exhibitions featured throughout the year, providing graphic design students with vast learning opportunities.
- Meredith’s Circus Design Studio is an in-house studio allowing students to assess the community’s needs and fulfill them through designing and implementing various print and interactive collateral. The Studio’s mission is to produce high-quality designs for events, services, and programs of clients.
- Students have access to scholarships exclusive to graphic design majors, including
- Graphic design students have completed internships with leading design and advertising agencies, organizations, and publications across the Triangle, such as
- Walk West
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Carolina Ballet
- Full Frame Documentary Film Festival
- North Carolina Museum of Art
- Examples of student success includes Bailey Birtchet, ’21, who built a robust resume through a series of internships as well as undergraduate research during her time at Meredith. After graduating, Bailey became a Fulbright award recipient and studied in the Netherlands at the Master Institute of Visual Cultures, St. Joost School of Fine Art and Design.
What Can You Do With a Graphic Design Degree?
A graphic design degree prepares students for success as professional designers, art directors, freelancers, and creative directors. Areas of specialization within the design field include logo and identity design, print design, web/interactive design, illustration, and advertising.
Potential Jobs for a Graphic Design Major
- web designer
- graphic designer
- UX/web designer
- production designer
- creative director
Positions Held by Meredith Graduates
- Web Designer, Walk West
- Graphic Designer, FWV (French West Vaughn)
- Associate Photographer, SAS
- UX/Web Designer, Duke University
- Print & Web Designer, Creative Pixel
- Creative Strategist + Designer, UNC Chapel Hill
- Owner, SO|MO Studios
- Production Designer, Red Hat
- Creative Director, CafePress
Graphic design major Bailey Birtchet, ’21, received a Fulbright award after building a strong academic and professional record through internships and undergraduate research.
Paula Pope-Jones completed her degree at Meredith and found the supportive environment she was looking for.
Explore Meredith's Visual Arts
Take a tour of Gaddy-Hamrick Art Center, the home of visual arts at Meredith College. Our art students benefit from a rigorous but supportive environment led by faculty who are award-winning, professional artists. Meredith offers a wide variety of opportunities for students to hone their artistic skills in the classroom and beyond in arts-rich Raleigh, N.C. Choose from majors in art education, graphic design, and studio art.
Graphic Design News
Jessica Stair, Ph.D., will present the 2023 Mercer-Kesler Lecture on Friday, April 21, at 10 a.m. in Kresge Auditorium. Stair’s presentation is titled “The Scent of Perfection: Flowers and the Senses in Monjas Muertas.”
In the fall 2022 semester, Professor of Art Shannon Johnstone arranged for her Photography I students to take photos at the Blind Spot Animal Sanctuary.
The Meredith College Art Department Faculty & Staff Exhibition features 15 individual artists who represent current and recent faculty and staff members as well as artists-in-residence at Meredith College.
Head, Art Department
Art Department »
School of Arts & Humanities »