The Federal Direct Loan program offers fixed, low-interest rate loans to students without the need for a credit application or cosigner. These loans are issued directly from the federal government to the school and have fixed disbursement amounts. Students who complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) are eligible to receive Federal Direct Loans and will receive notification of their maximum eligibility in their financial assistance Statement of Award.
The program offers subsidized and unsubsidized loans.
- The Federal Subsidized Loan is awarded according to demonstrated financial need. Interest is paid by the federal government as long as a student is enrolled at least half time at the university. The student must begin repayment of the loan six months after leaving the school or dropping below half time.
- The Federal Unsubsidized Loan is awarded regardless of a student’s demonstrated need. Interest begins accruing from the date of first disbursement. The student must begin repayment of the loan six months after leaving the school or dropping below half time.
Direct Loan Limits
Dependent undergraduate students enrolled in a degree-seeking program may borrow per year up to
- $5,500 as a first-year student
- $6,500 as a sophomore (min 26 credit hours earned)
- $7,500 as a junior or senior (min 60 credit hours earned)
The maximum amount a dependent undergraduate student may borrow is $31,000.
Independent undergraduate students and dependent students whose parents have been denied access to a Federal PLUS Loan may borrow per year up to
- $9,500 as a freshman
- $10,500 as a sophomore (min 26 credit hours earned)
- $12,500 as junior/senior (min 60 credit hours earned)
*Second degree, paralegal, & post-bac students will be awarded at the $12,500 amount but should make note that previous loans will be considered part of their loan limits.
The maximum amount an independent student may borrow is $57,500.
- First-time borrowers or new students must complete Entrance Counseling and the Loan Agreement (MPN).
- Go to studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan, sign in using the FSA ID or email address and FSA password.