Federal Direct PLUS Loan
Parents may apply for the Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS Loan), to help pay for their dependent undergraduate student’s education expenses. This loan is not need based and requires a credit review. A parent must apply each year after completing the FAFSA to receive this loan. This loan also includes a fixed interest rate. Because PLUS loans are administered directly by the federal government, parents must complete the following steps.
- File a FAFSA form for the current academic year, if not already completed.
- Apply online at www.studentloans.gov; sign in using the parent FSA ID.
- For parents of students applying for the Upcoming School Year (beginning the next Fall semester) please start your Parent PLUS loan submission after April 1st.
- Look under PLUS Loan Process and select Request a Direct PLUS Loan.
- Request only the amount that you need. To determine this figure, refer to your statement of award or contact our office.
- Upon approval, please also complete the Direct PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note and the Annual Student Loan Acknowledgment.
Requested amounts will be disbursed to Meredith and applied to the student’s account. If the amount requested exceeds the bill, the student will receive a refund check.