The Sociology/Criminology club works on various issues related to sociology, criminology, and social justice. The club sponsors CSI week, which is a week with multiple speakers that relate to the criminology major. In the past, the club has brought to campus the Raleigh Police Department mounted and canine units and a forensic computer expert from the City County Bureau of Identification (CCBI).
Service projects include yarn collection for Our Children’s Place, an education, service, and advocacy organization that supports children with incarcerated parents. The club worked with the organization to host a panel of advocates, families, and criminal justice experts on the effects of incarceration on families. The club also participates in a campus-wide sexual assault awareness week and has organized an annual event called the Diva Dash with Interact, a local women’s shelter, to raise awareness about sexual assault. The club is open to all sociology and criminology majors and minors, and any other students interested in these topics.
Alpha Kappa Delta Honor Society
Alpha Kappa Delta is the International Honor Society in sociology. To become a member of Alpha Kappa Delta, a student must:
- Be an officially declared sociology major or demonstrate a serious interest in sociology within an official program at Meredith College
- Be at least a junior (third year or 60+ hours) by standards of Meredith College
- Have accumulated the equivalent of an overall GPA of 3.0 and rank in the top 35% of their class in general scholarship
- Have maintained the equivalent of a 3.0 GPA in sociology courses taken at Meredith College
- Have completed at least four regular courses in sociology prior to initiation (exclusive of extension or courses graded pass/fail)
Meredith College participates in the AKD chapter with N.C. State University. The awards ceremony is often held on N.C. State’s campus, giving students the opportunity to meet other sociology students in the area.
Edwin H. Sutherland Criminology Honor Society
Founded in 2004 at Stonehill College, the Edwin H. Sutherland Criminology Honor Society is the honors society that recognizes the outstanding achievements of criminology majors.
For membership in this honor society, students must have:
- Junior or senior standing
- Completion of 5 or more criminology classes
- Cumulative GPA of at least a 3.0
- Class rank of top 35% of graduating class
- *Students double majoring in sociology and criminology are eligible for membership in both societies.
Meredith College prepares women graduates for careers in criminology through a focus on leadership development, multiple internships, and opportunities to connect with local, state, and national professionals in the field.
Program Coordinator, Criminology
212 Lux Hall
Sociology & Criminology Department »
School of Arts & Humanities »