The Department of World Languages & Cultures Travel Award (WLCTA) is a grant made annually to one or more outstanding foreign language majors/minors at Meredith College. The award helps to defray recipients’ travel expenses to and from a Meredith approved program of language study abroad.
The WLCTA applicant must:
- Be a declared foreign language major/minor
- State her intention to use the award for the purpose of pursuing language study abroad
- Be currently enrolled in a 205 language course or above at Meredith College
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or better
The completed application includes the WLCTA application form, transcript, essay, and one (1) letter of recommendation from a professor in the Department of World Languages & Cultures. If she desires, the applicant may also submit a letter from a second reference of her choice.
The letters of reference and the applicant’s essay must be written in English. The essay must provide specifics of the program of language study selected by the applicant.
All materials must be submitted to Prof. Callie DeBellis by February 14 at 5:00pm.
The WLCTA Committee
The WLCTA Committee is composed of three (3) professors representing the department’s major languages. All committee members vote.
Evaluation of Applicants
In addition to the eligibility requirements listed above, other criteria include the following:
- Applicant’s academic record in the department and in other disciplines
- Quality of the applicant’s essay
Upon reviewing applicants, the WLCTA Committee may conduct an interview in English with each applicant.
Notification of Award
The award recipients are notified via email by Prof. Callie DeBellis around the second week of April.