at Meredith College
As a business administration major, you will gain the skills needed for today’s competitive and complex global business environment. Through hands-on experiences, intimate class sizes, and required internships, you’ll be ready to succeed in your chosen career path.
Our Bachelor’s in Business Administration
Meredith’s core business administration curriculum helps students develop a deep understanding of business practices, giving them the knowledge and confidence to make decisions, collaborate and cooperate with peers, set goals, and accomplish objectives.
With a highly personalized learning environment, students gain leadership skills through direct experience and learn the skills to solve problems through teamwork. Meredith’s strong liberal arts foundation helps students expand on their critical-thinking skills and develop the personal conviction to make ethical and responsible decisions.
In addition to the core curriculum, specific tracks within the business administration major empower students to dive deeper into their academic interests in one of three areas of business administration – accounting, human resource management, and marketing.
Business Administration Programs
- Students in the accounting program receive a broadly-based education with a strong command of business knowledge, skills, and practice.
- Students acquire an understanding of accounting principles, resulting in the ability to
- Analyze economic and financial data
- Interpret and apply federal tax regulations
- Effectively communicate through financial statements and reports
- A bachelor’s degree in business administration with a concentration in accounting can be completed in 57-60 hours.
- Accounting concentration course descriptions.
Human Resource Management
- Students studying human resource management gain the skills necessary to effectively recruit, hire, deploy, and manage an organization’s employees.
- Meredith’s human resource management curriculum is certified by the Society for Human Resource Management, the internationally recognized leader in HR certification.
- A bachelor’s degree in business administration with a concentration in human resource management can be completed in 57-60 hours.
- Human resource management concentration course descriptions.
- Business administration majors who choose a concentration in marketing attain a skill set that allows them to succeed in the fast-paced and evolving field of marketing.
- Students will learn about
- The principles of marketing
- Leadership, innovation, and social responsibility
- Social media marketing
- Marketing research
- Sales management
- Advertising and sales promotion
- Event planning
- A bachelor’s degree in business administration with a concentration in marketing can be completed in 57-60 hours.
- Marketing concentration course descriptions.
Why Study Business Administration at Meredith?
Meredith’s business administration degree stands out among other area programs by offering three focus areas and real-world experiences.
- Voted the #1 best business school for women by the College Consensus.
- Business administration majors have access to the Career Tool Kit, which is a series of integrated career development activities offered in several business courses. This kit helps students gain a competitive edge in the job market.
- Meredith’s Broyhill Business Fellows Program prepares students for top internships and job placements through specially designed leadership and professional-development activities.
- Students have the opportunity to join several different organizations and honor societies.
- Internships give students the professional experience essential to receiving top job offers. Business administration students complete internships as part of the program requirements. An internship director helps students identify high-quality professional experiences, which often lead to full-time job offers after graduation.
- Recent examples of internships completed by Meredith students include:
- Credit Suisse, Research Triangle Park, N.C.
- Banyan, Rock & Talent, Raleigh, N.C.
- Lenovo, Research Triangle Park, N.C.
- Merrill Lynch, Raleigh, N.C.
- Carolina Hurricanes, Raleigh, N.C.
- Make-A-Wish, Raleigh, N.C.
- Business administration majors have access to scholarships.
- The Accelerated MBA is a 4+1 program that allows Meredith undergraduate students to earn a graduate degree in just one additional year, saving both time and money.
Careers in Business Administration
A business administration major is prepared for various fields such as human resource management, sales and marketing, banking, international business, management of nonprofit agencies and government service, or owning a business.
- Potential jobs for graduates with an accounting focus: financial manager, management consultant, controller, personal financial advisor, financial analyst, accounting manager, budget analyst, accountant, auditor, and more
- The national average salary for a bachelor’s in accounting is $53,074 a year.
Human Resources Management
- Potential jobs for graduates with a human resources management focus: human resources assistant, benefits administrator, payroll specialist, training coordinator, employee relations manager, and more
- The average national salary for human resources managers is $76,993 a year.
- Potential jobs for graduates with a marketing focus: market research analyst, meeting, convention, and event planner, advertising executive, social media manager, brand manager, content marketing and copywriting, product marketing, and more
- The average national salary for a marketing coordinator is $48,956 a year.
After sharpening her skills in the United States Marine Corps, Tylena Brown, ’22, chose to attend Meredith College as a Wings — Adult Education student studying business administration with a concentration in human resources.
As a first-year student at Meredith College, Business and Economics major Sarah Powell, ’22, learned that she had the power to advocate for change.
Business administration major Logan Alphin, ’19, is thriving in her career thanks to hands-on experiences as well as strategic and critical thinking skills she gained through Meredith’s School of Business.
Business Administration News
In February 2023, members of Meredith’s Broyhill Business Fellows paid a visit to SAS, a leading developer of analytics software. The students enjoyed a tour of SAS’ campus, the opportunity to learn from and interact with a panel of SAS employees, and lunch.
In the 2022-23 Faculty Distinguished Lecture, Professor of Finance Bing Yu presented “Impact Investing: Driving Capitalists to Do Good While Doing Well.” The lecture was held on Thursday, October 13, 2022, at 7 p.m., in Jones Auditorium.
Professor of Finance Bing Yu will deliver Meredith College’s Faculty Distinguished Lecture on Thursday, October 13, 2022, at 7 p.m., in Jones Auditorium. The topic of his lecture is “Impact Investing: Driving Capitalists to Do Good While Doing Well.”