Identity-Based Resources for Study Abroad: Undocumented Students

Undocumented students may be interested in studying abroad while at Meredith. The OIP is committed to supporting you in exploring your options. 

Beam Fountain with Irisis's

DACA students who are interested in traveling abroad need to apply for and receive an advance parole document from U.S. Customs and Immigration Services (USCIS) that permits re-entry to the U.S. after spending time abroad. However, it is vital to note that receiving an advance parole document does not guarantee re-entry into the U.S. For this reason, it is essential that any DACA student who is considering study abroad seek legal advice during the planning phase. If you would like assistance finding an attorney to consult with, the OIP is happy to help.

If you do decide to proceed with applying for advance parole after consulting with your support system, legal counsel, and the OIP, it is recommended that you do so as soon as possible, and at least three months before travel.

Given the high risk that comes with traveling outside of the country, the OIP recognizes that not all students are able or will choose to study abroad. An alternative option to consider is “study away” programs, such as internships and academic opportunities across the U.S. in locations such as New York, Los Angeles, Puerto Rico, and more. For more information, check out this list of summer study away programs offered through the University of California system and open to visiting students. This is not an exhaustive list, and additional study away opportunities can be found online as well.

Questions to Consider

  • Is the risk that comes with applying for advance parole worth it for me to be able to study abroad?
  • Have I discussed my plans and options with my support system, legal counsel, and the OIP?
  • If I cannot study abroad, is study away an appealing option to me?