COVID-19 Study Abroad Updates
COVID-19 Updates Regarding Study Abroad in 2021
The Office of International Programs has been consistently monitoring the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The health and safety of our students and community members, including study abroad participants and faculty, are of paramount importance to Meredith College. We have continuously reviewed global travel advisories as well as local public health risks and regulations for your host countries.
Because global conditions have remained unstable and we cannot mitigate the ongoing health and safety risks for our study abroad students, we have made the difficult decision to cancel all summer 2021 study abroad programs.
The Office of International Programs, in partnership with Meredith’s Health Center, will continue monitoring daily the following resources regarding coronavirus and international travel:
- U.S. State Department
- Overseas Security Advisory Council
- World Health Organization
- American College Health Association
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators professional listserv and the Forum on Education Abroad (peer institution responses)
- Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) updates
- Email announcements and communications from affiliate study abroad providers
- Multiple news outlets
Decisions about Fall 2021 study abroad will be made by the end of June, 2021. These decisions will be determined in partnership with the Meredith College Health Center and the Provost’s Office and will be based on our review of:
- CDC and U.S. State Department Travel Advisory Levels, in accordance with our Policy on Restricted Travel Areas
- Current health advisories and safety requirements in program locations
- Advice from local contacts and peer institutions in program locations
COVID-19 Cancellation Commitment
In the event that health and safety conditions due to the COVID-19 pandemic should lead the College to cancel a study abroad program prior to departure, full refunds will be made for any charges billed by the Office of International Programs to your Meredith College student account, including your $100 Commitment Deposit (or $400 fee for Affiliate programs). The College will be unable to refund additional expenses that you have incurred, such as independent airfare, passport application fees, personal travel items, affiliate program fees, etc. Meredith College will announce COVID-19 cancellation decisions for Fall 2021 by the end of June, 2021.
In the event that health and safety conditions due to the COVID-19 pandemic should lead the College to cancel a study abroad program after departure, Meredith College will be able to refund only uncommitted and recoverable funds.
Students applying to Affiliate Programs are encouraged to review COVID-19 pre-and post-departure cancellation policies from study abroad providers.