The Johnson Hall renovation project that began at the end of the Fall 2015 semester is continuing.
Facilities Services has been sending frequent updates about the project to faculty and staff via email, and will continue to do so throughout the renovation.
Here are some important reminders:
- Offices that were previously housed in the west wing of Johnson Hall have been temporarily relocated. The Office of the Provost is now in SMB 273, The Office of the Vice President for College Programs is in Jones 124, The Wings program is in SMB 233, and the Campaign for Meredith office is in Jones 122.
- While the rotunda of Johnson Hall is filled with scaffolding and may look like a maze, the rotunda area is safe and pathways are clear. Employees may want to continue to use the east and west side entrances to the building and avoid the Rotunda when possible. This will help limit the amount of dust being tracked through the building.
- The west wing first floor is accessible to pass through and the women's restroom is open and being maintained by Housekeeping staff.
- The Lobby of Jones Auditorium is being used as the reception area for new students and visitors.
- The elevator in Johnson Hall is being updated, and will be out of service until the completed work is approved by the City of Raleigh.
“We understand that these are not easy situations to work around for those in the building, but this project is going to restore much beauty and functionality to an iconic building that we really appreciate your efforts in dealing with a building under restoration,” said Director of Facilities Services Sharon Campbell.
The renovations include building the Jo Ellen Ammons Welcome Center, restoring the historic elements of the building, adding a new copper dome, creating the Bobbitt Clay Williams Executive Suite, and moving the staircase to create a view from the front entrance through the Rotunda into the courtyard. Renovations are expected to be completed by summer 2016.