Move-In is one of the best days of the year, and the Meredith College community is so excited to welcome you. We know how excited you must be to get acquainted with your new home-away-from-home, but you probably have some questions, too.
Here are some tips to help reduce stress levels on Move-In Day.
Before You Arrive:
- Eat breakfast. Everyone may be nervous about the big day, but moving in is a big process, which takes lots of energy.
- Show your school pride. Many students and their parents wear Meredith College shirts during Move-In, which adds to the fun of the day.
- Know where you’ll be living, both the building and room number. You’ll need this information once you get to campus. Parent/Guardian note: Keep a copy of this information at home so you’ll be able to send mail and care packages.
- Pay attention to where students are instructed to pick up their keys and complete paperwork. First-year students at Meredith check in in the first floor parlor of their assigned residence hall.
What to Pack:
- Label boxes that aren’t see-through. You don’t want to go through a dozen boxes looking for one item.
- Pack cleaning supplies on top. No matter how clean the housekeeping staff makes the student’s room, many families like to do a touch-up cleaning before unpacking.
- Bring a hand truck or something with wheels on it for moving boxes and big items. Even if the college loans hand trucks, there are never enough to go around.
- Make sure to have a tool box, not only for Move-In Day, but to keep in your dorm for the rest of the year. You never know when you’ll need a hammer or screwdriver.
- Consider bringing an extra set of clothes to change into after unpacking. Move-In Day can be hot and going to Orientation sessions in a sweaty shirt may not be ideal.
- Drink plenty of water. In North Carolina, it is always hot during Move-In Days. Meredith provides a drink station that everyone is encouraged to use. Don’t wait until you are thirsty to drink water because you could be on the verge of dehydration by that point.
- Be aware of when activities for the day begin. Orientation often begins on Move-In Day, and it is important that students make it to their sessions.
- First-year commuter student check-in is Saturday, August 20, from 2:00 – 2:45 p.m. in the first floor lobby of the Cate Center.
- The welcome session for all new students is Saturday, Agust 20, at 3:00 p.m. in Jones Auditorium.
- For the parents and families: Enjoy this day with your student! Although it may be difficult to leave at the end of the day, know that your student’s college journey has started and that they are in good hands to start the year off right.
We can’t wait to meet the Class of 2026 and see you begin your Meredith journey.