Psychology Students Complete Record Number of Internships
Psychology majors at Meredith College completed a record number of internships this year. A total of 38 students were in the field, with 11 in the fall, 18 in the spring, and nine this summer.
Challenging internships are essential to ensuring psychology majors succeed after graduation.
“With a psychology major, our students develop strong skills in critical thinking, oral communication, teamwork, data analysis, and ethical decision making,” said Professor of Psychology Cynthia Edwards. “Internships provide them with the opportunity to put these skills into practice in a work setting, helping them to hone their skills and clarify their career goals. Internships make students stronger applicants for graduate school and jobs.
Edwards noted that a number of students were hired by the agencies where they completed their placements, while others gained valuable networking connections that led them to later employment.
This spring, for instance, two students gained positions directly from their internships, including the Environmental Protection Agency, Life Experiences to work with adults with disabilities, and the Raleigh Police Department. Two students were admitted to occupational therapy graduate programs, while others will be studying school psychology at NC State University and another will pursue a Master of Arts in Teaching at East Carolina University.
This summer two international students are completing placements at schools in their home countries - one in a school in Myanmar and one in a school in Zimbabwe.
Local internship locations included the following:
- Sanderson High School - Special Programs and Intervention Services
- Middle Creek Year Round Elementary School - Guidance and Counseling Office
- Neighbor 2 Neighbor Outreach
- Frankie Lemmon Center for Developmental Disabilities
- Life Experiences Job Opportunities for Adults with Disabilities
- VOICE Therapeutic Solutions
- Marbles Kids Museum
- Tammy Lynn Center for Developmental Disabilities
- Wake Medical Center
- Pediatric Possibilities Occupational Therapy
- Hillcrest Convalescent Center
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Meredith Events
- Meredith Office of Institutional Advancement
- Wynns Family Psychology
Fax: (919) 760-8330