The Dual Degree Engineering (DDE) Program is an agreement between Meredith College and North Carolina State University (NC State) whereby students simultaneously complete the academic requirements of both institutions. Through carefully coordinated scheduling, the program allows academically qualified students to graduate in five years. Students who successfully complete the admission, transfer and academic requirements of both institutions will be awarded a Bachelor of Arts from Meredith College in chemistry, mathematics, or computer science and a Bachelor of Science from NC State in biological, biomedical, chemical, environmental, civil, computer, electrical, industrial, mechanical, or textile engineering.
1. Meredith College: BA – Chemistry
NC State: BS – Biological, Biomedical*, Chemical, Environmental, or Textile Engineering
2. Meredith College: BA – Mathematics
NC State: BS – Biological, Biomedical*, Civil, Computer, Electrical, Industrial, or Mechanical Engineering
3. Meredith College: BA – Computer Science
NC State: BS – Computer Engineering
*Biomedical Engineering requires a CODA application in the spring semester of year two. Contact Dr. Sasha Ormond for further information.
Recommendations for the Dual Degree Program
Students entering Meredith College from high school have
- a minimum un-weighted high school GPA of 3.25
- a 26 ACT Composite or 1160 SAT with at least a 620 on mathematics
- completed high school courses that prepare them to enroll and succeed in Calculus I (MAT 191) and English 111 during their first college semester (high school students should take honors English and math through at least precalculus and trigonometry)
Students must maintain an outstanding Meredith College record to be able to enroll in engineering classes at NC State, including
- a minimum Meredith cumulative GPA of 3.25 in the first two semesters and a minimum of 3.0 thereafter
- a minimum Meredith cumulative GPA of 3.5 for Biomedical Engineering
- C or better in all courses
- B or better in all math, English, chemistry, and computer science courses
Pursuing the Dual Degree Program
Students are recommended to complete a DDE Advisement, a one-on-one meeting with the DDE Director, prior to attending StartStrong, Meredith’s pre-orientation program. The DDE Advisement can be completed in person, by phone, by email, or virtually (e.g. via Google Hangouts).
Students must complete the DDE Declaration of Intent during StartStrong to pursue the program and must select their Meredith major (Chemistry, Mathematics, or Computer Science) by the end of the first semester at Meredith. Students begin taking courses at NC State during the fall of their second year at Meredith College.
All students pursuing the DDE program must take 16-18 credits each semester. Students will work closely with their advisor when selecting courses each semester. First semester courses for all DDE students include
- CHE 111/141
- ENG 111 (or ENG 200 if the ENG 111 requirement has been met)
- MAT 191 or above
- one foreign language course chosen from Spanish, French, Italian, or Chinese
- one or two general education courses (students who have met the foreign language general education requirement will take two general education courses)
Please contact the Director of the Dual Degree Engineering Program, Dr. Sasha Ormond, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Learn more about the STEM programs at Meredith College.