Dean of Students / Student Complaints/ Grievances for Undergraduate Students

Student Complaints/ Grievances for Undergraduate Students

Complaint/Grievance Procedures for Students

Academic Problems

Students who are experiencing academic problems either with a grade or other conditions of the course should first discuss the matter with the professor. It is the professor’s responsibility to explain fully all grades and requirements of the course. If the problem is not resolved, the student or professor should consult the department head. Should further action be required, the matter should be brought to the dean of the school. Any grievance concerning a grade that has not been satisfactorily resolved by the teacher, the department head, or the dean may be appealed in a written statement to the Senior Vice President and Provost. This appeal must take place within eight weeks of receiving the grade or initially experiencing the problem. Grades may be appealed on the basis of a question concerning (1) clerical or numerical error or (2) personal bias or arbitrary grading.

Housing Problems

A student who resides in a residence hall who experiences a housing problem during the academic year should discuss the problem with the resident assistant responsible for her floor or the residence director responsible for her residence hall. Oaks residents who experience a conflict can contact a community assistant or the Oaks Apartment Manager. If the problem cannot be resolved through discussion with residence life staff, the student may make an appointment with the director of residence life for further consideration.

General Student Complaints

Meredith College provides a learning environment that prepares students for responsible lives of life-long learning, professional development and global citizenship. The Meredith experience is designed to encourage collaborative learning among students, faculty and staff. Meredith College has a long and rich history in student self-governance and in promoting the general welfare of all students. To continue to enhance the quality of services and resources offered to students, Meredith College welcomes opinions, feedback and constructive ideas. The College is committed to ensuring that students have an avenue for articulating concerns, complaints and grievances.

In communicating specific concerns, complaints and grievances, students are encouraged to follow established policies and procedures outlined in the online Meredith College Student Handbook and the Meredith College Undergraduate Catalogue. These methods include grievance and appeal procedures for academic problems or grades, academic suspension and other academic policies, harassment and non-discrimination policy complaints, reports of sexual misconduct, Honor Code violations, housing issues, financial aid probation or suspension, disability services, student employment, and access to educational records.

Meredith College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).

Individuals may submit complaints to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, the University’s regional accrediting body. In most cases, SACSCOC complaint procedures require that the complainant exhaust all other avenues to address the complaint. Prior to filing a complaint, please carefully review the SACSCOC Complaint Procedures Policy Statement.

The links below provide information on the SACSCOC complaint policy and process.

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges 
1866 Southern Lane Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 
Telephone: 404-679-4500 
SACSCOC Complaint Procedures 
SACSCOC Complaint Form

Additionally, if you are not satisfied with the outcome of the complaint, you may choose to file a complaint by filling out the North Carolina Post-secondary Education Student Complaint document. Please visit the State of North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints page for the form and for information about this process.

In communicating general concerns, complaints or grievances that do not follow one of the specific grievance procedures indicated above, students have recourse through the following avenues:

Communication of Concerns through the Student Government Association - Any Meredith student may bring a concern to any branch of the Student Government Association. The Student Life Committee, a branch of the Student Government Association, directs attention and study to the concerns and well-being of the students at Meredith College. Students are also invited to participate in forums and student body meetings sponsored by the Student Government Association in fall and spring semesters.

Informal Process for General Complaints – A student is encouraged to resolve concerns or complaints by directly discussing the matter with the staff member or department in which the issue originated. If the complaint is not resolved, the next contact will be the supervisor or responsible administrator to investigate the issue. The student should attempt to resolve the complaint informally as soon as possible but at least within 30 days of the occurrence. Staff members in the Office of the Dean of Students are also available as a resource for students who have complaints.

Formal Process for General Complaints – If the matter is unresolved after following the informal complaint process, the student may complete a formal written complaint by completing a Student General Complaint Form available in the Office of the Dean of Students, 2nd floor Park Center. The formal complaint form must be submitted to the Office of the Dean of Students within ten (10) College working days following the date that the informal complaint process is completed. If the complaint is about the staff in the Office of the Dean of Students, the student may submit the complaint form to the Vice President for College Programs. The formal complaint must contain the following information:

  •   Name of student filing the formal complaint
  •   Name of the staff member or department the complaint is against
  •   Date(s) of the incident(s)
  •   Statement of facts and nature of the concern/complaint
  •   Description of steps already attempted to resolve concern through informal procedures
  •   Resolution being sought by student
  •   Student signature and contact information

Procedures for Resolution of Formal Complaints:

The staff in the Office of the Dean of Students will log all general formal complaints and send the complaint to the appropriate administrator for review, investigation and decision.

The responsible administrator will usually respond within ten (10) working days to the complainant. Depending on the nature of the complaint, the responsible administrator may call together involved parties to mediate the situation and determine a solution or decision. The administrator will inform the student of the decision in writing. When a decision is made about a formal complaint, a copy of the written decision should be sent to the Dean of Students, who maintains the general complaint log.

If the resolution is unsatisfactory to the student, she may then contact the Dean of Students for a referral to the appropriate Vice President. The Vice President shall respond to the complaint within twenty (20) College working days after receipt of the formal complaint and inform the student of the decision in writing. Decisions and resolutions made by a Vice President are final.

If the complaint is submitted about a Vice President, the complaint will be referred to the President for response and decision.

No person against whom a complaint is filed shall intimidate, threaten, coerce, or discriminate against any student submitting a complaint. Complaints about retaliation may be communicated to the Office of the Dean of Students.

Procedures for Reporting Title IX/Sexual Misconduct Violation:

Sexual violence committed by a Meredith College community member violates the Sexual Misconduct Policy.  Students may refer to the Meredith College Title IX page for detailed information about the policy, reporting violations, grievance procedures, seeking confidential support, and gathering information about interim actions that the College can put in place to ensure safety. 

To report violations of sexual misconduct/Title IX, persons may contact Deputy Title IX Coordinator and Dean of Students Ann Gleason at (919) 760-8521 or Title IX Coordinator and Director of Human Resources Pam Davis at (919) 760-8760 ().

Distance Education Student Complaints

Meredith College has applied to participate in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement – North Carolina (SARA-NC). If you are enrolled at Meredith College but do not reside in North Carolina, you may choose to file a complaint by filling out the complaint form on the SARA-NC website or contact the appropriate authority in your state.

Contact Information
Office of the Dean of Students
2nd Floor, Park Center
Raleigh, NC 27607
(919) 760-8521
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)