Students within the Department of Art find an enriching and stimulating environment which is designed to encourage artistic and intellectual growth. Housed in the Gaddy-Hamrick Art Center, the Department of Art has a range of facilities including drawing, painting, sculpture, and printmaking studios, a ceramics area with an outdoor kiln, photographic darkroom, digital photo lab, graphic design labs, an art history classroom, and the Weems Art Gallery, which hosts monthly exhibits of regional and national artists.
At Meredith College, art and design students have numerous opportunities for learning and leadership outside of the classroom.
- Annual Juried Student Art Show
- Professional Internships
- Study Abroad Opportunities
- Moore-Greenberg Art Travel Scholarship
- Ceramics Workshop Grants
- MASS Grant
- AIGA (professional association for graphic design)
- Artists Alliance (for all students interested in art)
- Kappa Pi (international honorary art fraternity)
- NCAEA (North Carolina Art Educators’ Association)
Feb 1 – Mar 3
9:00am – 5:00pm
Frankie G. Weems Gallery; Gaddy-Hamrick Arts Center
Our student artists work with a wide range of subject matter and materials, from ceramics to fiber to print. Each artist favors her own media and is inspired by her own motivations and narratives. Student artwork is featured during special exhibitions in the Frankie G. Weems Art Gallery.