This part of the tutorial has presented strategies for using keywords and subject headings and shown the differences between the two. Remember:
- are limited only by your imagination
- produce items that use the keyword anywhere in the record (and sometimes anywhere in the text)
- can produce results unrelated to your research topic.
Library of Congress Subject Headings
- appear in an approved list
- are assigned only to books and sources that discuss that subject in some detail
- offer recommendations for narrowing, broadening, and refining the search
- produce targeted results and suggestions for more options
- can lead you to additional books/sources.