Sustainability at Meredith College
Summer Sustainable Agriculture Internship Program
The Center for Environmental Farming Systems (CEFS) Summer Sustainable Agriculture Internship Program, based in Goldsboro, NC started in 1999 and has attracted students from a wide variety of backgrounds and majors from across the country and the world. This eight-week internship program (June 4 – July 27, 2012) provides undergraduate students with experience in hands-on field production, local community food systems, hands-on sustainable agriculture experiences and research that promote agricultural sustainability. The goal is to provide experiential learning opportunities through collaboration with faculty from North Carolina State University (NCSU) and North Carolina A&T State University (NCA&T) and farm staff from the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (NCDA&CS). Interns will become familiar with farming practices that promote
• Strong local food system networks;
• Sustainable production systems using available renewable resource-based technologies;
• Agricultural production systems of animal and crops that efficiently use energy and water in the biological systems;
• Efficient use of nutrient cycling in production systems;
• Diverse complementary production systems and season extension techniques; • Community gardens for food and education in good food choices;
• Use of organic crop rotations, crop/animal integration, and natural systems for animal production.
The deadline to apply for the internship program is Wednesday, February 15.
For more information contact Lisa Forehand or visit the website (http://bit.ly/zfTpRu)