The Sociology/Criminology Club
The Sociology/Criminology club works on various issues related to Sociology, Criminology and Social Justice Issues. In the Fall, the club sponsors CSI week which is a week with multiple speakers in all sorts of classes that relate to the Criminology major. In the pictures above the Raleigh PD mounted and Canine unit came to campus in Fall 2010 and (right) in Fall 2009, Beth Whitney, a CCBI (City County Bureau of Identification) Forensic Computer Expert speaks to a student. Examples of the schedule of speakers during previous CSI weeks are available from 2009, 2010 and 2011
The club also hosts Sociology week in the Spring with various speakers related to the field of Sociology. The club is involved in projects like Books for Barwell (school books for students at an elementary school with a very poor population) and Diva Dash (with Interact) to increase awareness of sexual assualt during Sexual Assault Awareness week. In the Spring of 2012, students made Halloween and Valentine's Day "goody bags" for the Raleigh Women's Correctional Facilties Match Program where mothers and children get to spend time together.
This club is open to all majors, minors or any other student interested in these topics. The club meets every 3rd Friday at 10:00 am beginning September 2, 2011.
Alpha Kappa Delta
Alpha Kappa Delta is the International Honor Society in Sociology
For membership in Alpha Kappa Delta a student:
- Must be an officially declared sociology major or demonstrate a serious interest in sociology within an official program at Meredith College.
- Must be at least a junior (third year or 60+ hours) by standards of Meredith College
- Must haveaccumulated the equivalent of an overall g.p.a. of 3.3 or rank in the top 35% of their class in general scholarship.
- Must have maintained the equivalent of a 3.0 g.p.a. in sociology courses taken at Meredith College.
- Must have completed at least four regular courses in sociology prior to initiation (exclusive of extension or courses graded pass/fail).
Membership is $40 plus $10 for the cords.
In addition to lifetime membership in the honor society, a year's subscription to Social Forces (A Sociological journal) and a certificate from AKD, students can purchase Teal Honor Cords to wear at Graduation.
Edwin H. Sutherland Criminology Honor Society
For Membership in this honor society for Criminology majors a student:
- Junior or senior standing
- Completion of 5 or more Criminology classes (in Sociology)
- Cumulative GPA of at least a 3.0
- Criminology GPA of at least 3.2
- Class rank of top 35% of graduating class
This honor society is the Beta chapter, the Alpha Chapter was started at Stonehill College in Massachusetts. Cords for the society will be awarded but the color has yet to be decided. (Stonehill College doesn't give out cords). There is no journal for this society, but there is also no cost to join, other than the cost of the cords ($10).
Students double majoring in Sociology and Criminology are eligible for membership in both societies and minors in Sociology are eligible for AKD membership.