Counseling Center / Emergencies
The Counseling Center provides 24-hour crisis-intervention services throughout the regular academic year for students experiencing mental health crises (e.g. psychological trauma, thoughts of harming self or others).
Call 911 immediately if you or someone you are assisting is experiencing a life-threatening emergency. If you are on-campus, call Campus Police at 8888 immediately thereafter to report any emergency situations. Campus Police will give callers instructions and will call 911 to direct emergency vehicles to the correct location.
What is a mental health emergency?
If you answer yes to any of the questions below, you may be experiencing a mental health crisis. Please seek assistance.
- Have you experienced a personal, psychological, or physical trauma recently?
- Has your level of distress increased significantly or have you had a drastic change in functioning?
- Has someone asked you to come to the Counseling Center or another mental health resource?
- Are you having thoughts or have you made a plan to hurt yourself or others?
What are my resources if I am experiencing a mental health emergency?
Meredith College Counseling Center
- Come to the Crisis Hour at 1 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Call the Counseling Center or come to 208 Carroll Hall.
- Call the Counselor on Call. The Counseling Center offers a counselor on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week throughout the academic year for students in crisis. The student must call the Residence Director (RD) on duty at (919) 612-6350 or call Campus Police at (919) 760-8888 in order to reach the Counselor-on-Call. The RD or security officer will call the Counselor-on-Call, who will then call back the student. Please note: there is no counselor on call available during the winter recess or over the summer.
- All Emergencies: 911
- Holly Hill Hospital: (919) 250-7000
- Wake County Mental Health: (919) 250-3133
- Hopeline (Suicide Hotline): (800) 784-2433
Contact Information:Beth Meier
Director, Counseling Center
208 Carroll Hall
Fax: (919) 760-2383