THE PLATE REPLACES THE PYRAMID!
For more information, go to: www.choosemyplate.gov
TIDBITS FOR WELLNESS
QUICK CALORIE CUT!
A simple way to keep yourself from going for seconds or more at family meals? Fill your plate in the kitchen and keep the serving platters there - not on the dining table. In one study, researchers videotaped people eating family style. When asked how many servings they had consumed, all study subjects thought they'd eaten one or two. But most had polished off three or four servings without realizing it.
IS THERE A SPECIFIC AGE WHEN I SHOULD START GETTING TESTED FOR OSTEOPOROSIS?
(Expert: Michele Bellantoni, M.D., clinical director, Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology at John Hopkins Medicine)
Everyone should be screened for osteoporosis, a bone-weakening disease that increases fracture risk. But WHEN depends not only on your age but also on other risk factors. Typically women should have their first bone-density scan (a quick painless scan) no later than 65; men should begin at age 70. But women at higher risk - for example, postmenopausal with a family history of the disease, or of slight build - may want to start up to 15 years earlier. Have your doctor assess your risk factors to pinpoint when you should start having bone-density tests.
Coaching in short . . .
- Facilitates insight and clarity through inquiry and personal discovery
- Elicits client-generated and/or collaborative solutions and strategies
- Works with the whole person
- Increases accountability and responsibility
- Stirs people to accomplish more
A coach is dedicated to their client's success, combining a number of different roles sometimes a sounding board, often a mentor, and at times, a challenger.
How Coaching Works
- Through thoughtful assessment and inquiry, collaborative problem-solving and goal-setting, and safe, open, and honest dialogue, coaches help their clients become clearer on where they are, where they want to go, and how to get there.
- Clients feel accountable to themselves and their coaches. They make and honor their commitments to reaching their goals, accomplishing more than they believed possible when they began.
- Coaches provide instruction and mentoring to their clients, and help them set goals, define an action plan, and navigate the path until they reach their goals. Coaches facilitate learning and help clients put the learning into action.
Contact Susan Drury-Rohner @ email@example.com for more information.
NUTRITION SERVICES FOR WOW! MEMBERS!
WOW! is pleased to offer nutrition services through Personalized Nutrition Inc. and Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina. WOW! wants to ensure that you have access to the appropriate resources to assist you in improving or maintaining your health.
Working with a licensed dietitian is one way to help you develop strategies to improve your diet based upon your health and nutrition goals. Read HERE for more information on how a nutritional couneling can work for you.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact Christina Newport, RD, LDN at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919-760-8769. Please leave only your name and contact information.
Start your semester off right – incorporate therapeutic massage into your schedule and make it a point to find quiet time right here on campus. Massages are held in a private room at Carroll Hall – Heath Center. $45, 50-minute session. Please contact Meredith Marceau Blum @ email@example.com for more information and to schedule an appointment.
LIVING A STRESS-FREE LIFE? IS IT POSSIBLE?
This link was sent to me and I really liked the article and resources. http://www.tm.org/resource-pages/61-is-a-stress-free-life-possible
WHOLE FOODS - the new calendar of classes is available here! Check out some of their unique and useful programs!
Phone: (919) 760-8846 - Fax: (919) 760-2341 - firstname.lastname@example.org
3800 Hillsborough Street Raleigh, NC 27607-5298