Summer Abroad Applications Increase by 50%
Sharing good news, the Office of International Programs has seen a 50% increase (and growing) in faculty-led study abroad applications for summer 2014! There have been nearly 30 additional students accepted on summer 2014 faculty-led programs, compared to summer 2013.
Nine faculty-led programs will be running this summer, which is the largest number hosted by Meredith since 2009. Meredith has not seen summer faculty-led study abroad enrollment at this level in more than four years. The OIP would like to thank the dedicated faculty who will be leading students abroad this summer, as well as our many colleagues across campus who offered support and encouragement to students during the application process, including those who wrote recommendations, provided academic advising, and offered valuable financial guidance.
Meredith summer 2014 faculty-led programs include:
• Business in China (undergraduate & MBA): Rebecca Oatsvall, Ying Liao, & Jeff Langenderfer
• Iceland: Eloise Grathwohl & Shannon Grimes
• Italy-Switzerland: Cathy Rodgers & Mark O'Dekirk
• Italy: Childhood Italian Style (in partnership with UNC-Charlotte): Kathryn Clark
• Italy: Graduate Education: Jennifer Olson & Monica McKinney
• Italy: Opera Experience (in partnership with NC Young Artists Project & Univ. of Toledo): Ellen Williams
• Paris Fashion: Diane Ellis & Eunyoung Yang
• Spain: Jonathan Wade
• United Kingdom: Cathy Rodgers, Ellen Goode, & Kelly Roberts
Italy Program Faculty to Visit Meredith: Two faculty from the Meredith in Italy program in Sansepolcro will be visiting campus during the week of March 17. Dr. Sara Andreini is associate director of Meredith in Italy and Dr. Emilija Dimitrijevic teaches ENG 200 on the semester program. Andreini and Dimitrijevic will spend their week in dialogue with Meredith faculty and staff to further strengthen connections between the Sansepolcro and Raleigh campuses. They will also participate in multiple reunion events with excited Italy study abroad alumnae and begin building community with 2014 Italy students and faculty (smores and fire pit included!). This visit is funded by generous donor contributions.
Visiting artists Stella Peruzzi and Andrea Sari will present a recital featuring operatic selections, accompanied by Professor of Music Kent Lyman, on Tuesday, March 25, 7:30 p.m. in Jones Chapel. There will be a pre-concert lecture by conductor Paolo Belloli at 7 p.m. Based in Arezzo, Italy, Peruzzi and Sari are supporters of the Meredith in Italy program in Sansepolcro. They will also present master classes for singers in Meredith’s music program, attend Italian classes and more. Their master classes, which are free and open to the public, are scheduled for March 17 and 24 at 1 p.m. in Carswell Concert Hall. Their visit to Meredith is supported by Kenan Funds.
Information Session for Faculty: The OIP will host an information session for faculty who are interested in teaching on an existing or new Meredith study abroad program on Monday, March 17 at 10 a.m. in the Alumnae House. Discussion leaders include Sara Andrieni, Associate Director of Meredith in Italy, Catherine Rodgers, Director of Meredith in Italy, and Brooke Shurer, Director of International Programs. Refreshments will be served.
—Submitted by Brooke Shurer, Director of International Programs
In this issue:
In this issue:
- Meredith College to Welcome the Class of 2021
- Meredith College Opposes I-440 Expansion Plans
- Faculty/Staff Planning Week 2017
- Solar Eclipse Viewing at SMB
- Of Playground, Paint, and Picture Books: Meredith in Belize 2017
- Summer 2017 Reading Suggestions from Meredith Faculty and Staff
- Meredith Mayhem Helps Support Lake Renovation
- 2017 Summer Reading Program Events
- Faculty/Staff Accomplishments and Departmental News August 2017
CAMPUS CONNECTIONS ARCHIVES
Fax: (919) 760-8330