News Briefs in this issue include:
- Professional Development Collaboratives Meet for First Time
- Meredith College Going Strong Ad Campaign on Local Airwaves
- Flu Vaccine Clinic a Success
Professional Development Collaboratives Meet for First Time
Submitted by Cece Toole, associate professor of education
Meredith’s Faculty Development and Instructional Technology (FDIT) Professional Development Collaboratives (PDC) met for the first time on Monday, October 7.
The Technology Collaborative discussed technologies that they were implementing in their courses and created a list of technologies that they were interested in learning more about. The topic of their next meeting will be strategies and ideas for "in the moment" class feedback. They will meet again on Monday, November 4 at 10 a.m. in Ledford 211.
The Creative Pedagogy Collaborative discussed effective strategies and context and the long-term impact of strategies. They will read a different book or article each month and meet to discuss, much like a book club. Members will sign up to facilitate the discussion each month. They will meet again on Monday, November 4 at 10 a.m. in Ledford 210 to discuss Learner-Centered Teaching: Five Key Changes to Practice, (Weimer, M. E.). Julie Schrock will facilitate.
The Academic Writing Collaborative decided that their efforts would focus on working on their own academic writing. They agreed that the PDC would allow them 1) a space (and time) to work, 2) a sense of accountability to others in the group (providing additional motivation for our own writing), and 3) an opportunity to share our work with other writers and benefit from their insights and suggestions. They will meet again on Friday, October 18, from 2-4 p.m. at the Learning Center.
All Collaboratives are open to anyone interested in joining them. If you are interested in joining please attend the next meeting. If you are interested in joining but unable to meet at that time please let Cece Toole know at firstname.lastname@example.org so that she can pass on your information to the facilitators.
Meredith College Going Strong Ad Campaign on Local Airwaves
Meredith College is Going Strong on local television stations with a new series of commercials.
The ads are airing during morning show broadcasts on ABC, CBS and NBC in the Raleigh market.
View the commercials, and other Meredith videos, on the Meredith YouTube channel.
Flu Vaccine Clinic a Success
Submitted by Sherri Henderson, director of health services
More than 450 people took advantage of Meredith’s on-campus flu vaccine clinic this year. Those getting the flu vaccine included 213 employees and 200 students.
The clinic saw an increase of 30% participation with the largest increase seen in students at 61%.
In addition to recommending the flu vaccine, the Centers for Disease Control and prevention (CDC) recommends the following to prevent the spread of flu:
Take everyday actions to help prevent the spread of germs that cause respiratory illnesses.
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- If you are sick with flu-like illness, CDC recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities. Your fever should be gone without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.
- While sick, limit contact with others as much as possible to keep from infecting them.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs like the flu.
- Cough in your sleeve at your elbow
For more information see the complete CDC brochure.
In this issue:
In this issue:
- Professor of Psychology Cynthia Edwards to Present Faculty Distinguished Lecture
- Meredith Celebrates Faculty/Staff Donors
- Celebrate the New Thomas Meredith Marker September 27
- Haitian Orphan Choir Visits Meredith College
- Fountain Plaza Dedication Planned for October 2
- Decision Height to be Presented by Meredith Ensemble Theatre
- Personal Stories: A Review of the Art Department Faculty & Staff Exhibition
- Alumni Educators and School Administrators Career Event Held
- The Library Out and About on Campus
- Wings Alumnae Share Insight with Current Students
- Faculty/Staff Accomplishments and Departmental News 9/20/17
CAMPUS CONNECTIONS ARCHIVES
Fax: (919) 760-8330