News Briefs 1/15/14
In this edition of News Briefs, learn about smoking cessation options, the Meredith trip to the United Kingdom, and an update on Meredith's plan to develop an intranet.
Want to Quit Smoking? It’s Possible!
Submitted by Sherri Henderson, director of health services
James Jones in Facility Services just celebrated his one year anniversary of not smoking! We are so proud of this accomplishment.
If you made a New Year's resolution to quit smoking but are having difficulty, you may want to participate in the following study.
Duke Center for Smoking Cessation has a research study available to those interested. It is for cigarette smokers who want to quit. You must be healthy, drug-free and between the ages of 18-65 . You must be able to attend multiple study visits. Compensation for participation is between $300-$510.
Join Meredith Alumnae on a Tour of Great Britain
Faculty and staff are invited to join Betty Webb, ’67, Professor Emerita, Department of English, and former Director of International Programs, and Becky Bailey, Professor Emerita, Department of Art and former dean of the School of the Arts, as they lead Meredith alumnae and friends in exploring Great Britain, focusing on England but with a two day foray into Scotland. The tour is scheduled for Thursday, June 5, 2014 – Monday, June 16, 2014.
Enjoy a unique travel experience discovering the rich history and natural beauty of places most Americans never see when touring this “sceptered isle.” Your travels will be enhanced by the expertise of our guides who have intimate knowledge of the region. And as an added bonus, Meredith President Jo Allen (an English professor herself) will be traveling with us.
Let us hear from you now! Please contact Cindy Godwin at email@example.com or ext. 8206 for more information.
Meredith reserves the right to make necessary adjustments in the ultimate itinerary.
Campus Intranet Update
Submitted by Jeff Howlett, chief information officer
Meredith College’s intranet structure is being developed by utilizing the functionality of Blackboard’s Content Management and Community Engagement systems. Through the MyMeredith gateway, faculty, staff and students will have access to documents that are exclusive to internal users of the campus community.
To expedite the roll-out of this system and to maintain manageability we are planning the following schedule:
- Technology Services will work with pre-selected groups to create “proof-of-concept” examples that we will release to the campus to use as discussion points for the development of the next target groups.
- After finishing the proof-of-concept examples Technology Services will begin a series of open forums to demonstrate the system as we envision it being developed and to identify the next groups for implementation.
Between January and spring break, program leaders and department heads will be asked to identify users in their area who will serve in the role of “Module Administrators”. (Training will be mandatory for all “Module Administrators”.)
To that goal, the project team will meet with each department/program leader to discuss best practices for content consolidation and folder management and assist them in identifying current content that will need to be uploaded to the MyMeredith content folders. The projected ‘go-live’ date for this portion of the project is March 31.
- The legacy web server “walrus” and its staging partner "webtest/mockturtle" will be taken offline Monday, March 31.
- From the end of spring break through the summer the project team will work with individual programs on course content consolidation and folder management. Training for this part of the project is in development and will be available mid-spring. Options for training will include: face to face departmental training; online (web conferencing) sessions; and self-paced Blackboard training modules.
Please look for further announcements and information over the next few weeks which will include dates and times for the discussion forums.
In this issue:
In this issue:
- Professor of Psychology Cynthia Edwards to Present Faculty Distinguished Lecture
- Meredith Celebrates Faculty/Staff Donors
- Celebrate the New Thomas Meredith Marker September 27
- Haitian Orphan Choir Visits Meredith College
- Fountain Plaza Dedication Planned for October 2
- Decision Height to be Presented by Meredith Ensemble Theatre
- Personal Stories: A Review of the Art Department Faculty & Staff Exhibition
- Alumni Educators and School Administrators Career Event Held
- The Library Out and About on Campus
- Wings Alumnae Share Insight with Current Students
- Faculty/Staff Accomplishments and Departmental News 9/20/17
CAMPUS CONNECTIONS ARCHIVES
Fax: (919) 760-8330