Department of Education Holds Summer Math Camp for Girls
The Meredith College Department of Education held its fourth annual Summer Math CAMMP. CAMMP, which stands for Comprehensively Applied Math Manipulatives Program, is designed to introduce elementary and middle school girls to science, technology, engineering, arts, and math (STEAM).
“I started the camp at Meredith to expose girls to the STEAM curriculum since the number of females who pursue careers in these fields is very low, especially in the technology and engineering domains,” said Associate Professor of Education Cece Toole.
For the first time, CAMMP was offered to middle school girls. Over the past four years, 195 girls have attended the program, which is held on Meredith’s campus.
“We have so many girls who return each year that I had to expand the age level offered to accommodate these students,” said Toole.
Many Meredith alumnae, faculty, and staff send their daughters, and current students, at the undergraduate and graduate level, are involved in the camp in several different ways. Students in Meredith’s Master of Arts in Teaching program use the camp as a field experience to prepare for student teaching.
“The camp provides opportunities for girls to explore science and math related curriculum, and it allows them to learn more about the College,” said Toole. “During camp, the girls ate in the dining hall, had tea with President Jo Allen, and explored the campus.”
Participants enhance their understanding of mathematics, connect to real world applications with a social science integration, and use analytical skills to build and program machines and robots.
Other Parent Articles
In this issue:
- Meredith College Holds 2017 Commencement
- Meredith College Names New Dean for the School of Arts and Humanities
- Student Health Insurance Requirements
- Awarding of Financial Aid for Current Students
- Three Tips to Help Set Your Student on a Strong Career Path
- Meredith Holds 15th LeaderShape Session
- Shop Online for Meredith Merchandise
- Fitness Center – Updates at a Glance
- Class of 2020 Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Fire & Water
- Meredith Avenging Angels Have Championship Season
- Class of 2017 Donors Recognized
- Annual Celebrating Student Achievement Day Held
- 2017-18 Meredith Travel Program Opportunities
- Mini-Commencement Celebration for Lacrosse Seniors
- Honoring Scholarship Donors
Fax: (919) 760-8330