Meredith to Add Track & Field as Eighth Sport
Athletic Director Jackie Myers announced the addition of Meredith’s eighth varsity sport – track and field – during the Sir Walter Miler held at the College’s premiere track venue on August 1. The captive audience of nearly 1,000 athletes and fans of the sport of running seemed the perfect way to generate interest and excitement in the new program.
Head Cross Country Coach Amy Olsen will also lead the track program and begins recruiting immediately for the new sport. Thanks to the generosity of a Meredith alumna, the Avenging Angels will begin this new tradition spring 2016.
The fall coaching staff welcomed nearly 100 student-athletes to campus last Wednesday and Thursday to begin early preparations for the sport season. Teams began practice Friday morning and are set to open the competition season August 29. Follow the Avenging Angels on Facebook and Twitter this year to witness our successful programs in action.
Meredith athletics coaches hosted more than 400 youth athletes during summer sport camps this year, including a brand new summer lacrosse camp. The basketball, soccer and volleyball camps increased registrations creating new energy and excitement for Meredith.
After last spring’s successful pilot program, Meredith athletics will once again partner with the Raleigh Tennis Association to host USTA Play Days for 10-and-under players Sunday afternoons beginning next month. The fun, low-pressure format offers young players the chance to compete. Register online
Follow Meredith’s continued athletic success at goavengingangels.com.
In this issue:
In this issue:
- Meredith College to Welcome the Class of 2021
- Meredith College Opposes I-440 Expansion Plans
- Faculty/Staff Planning Week 2017
- Solar Eclipse Viewing at SMB
- Of Playground, Paint, and Picture Books: Meredith in Belize 2017
- Summer 2017 Reading Suggestions from Meredith Faculty and Staff
- Meredith Mayhem Helps Support Lake Renovation
- 2017 Summer Reading Program Events
- Faculty/Staff Accomplishments and Departmental News August 2017
CAMPUS CONNECTIONS ARCHIVES
Fax: (919) 760-8330