Meredith Ensemble Theatre Takes on Chekhov
Meredith Ensemble Theatre’s first production of the academic year is Anton Chekhov's “The Three Sisters.” The play continues through September 29, in Studio Theatre. Performance times are September 24-28 at 7:30 p.m. and September 29 at 3 p.m.
This classic play deals with the struggles of three Russian sisters who long to return to their beloved Moscow at the turn of the 20th century. This is Meredith’s first Chekov production.
“Each year we pick a classical play to produce so that our students have been exposed to a wide variety of period plays when they graduate,” said Professor of Theatre Catherine Rodgers. “We have done lots of Shakespeare, Ibsen, Moliere and even Restoration works before, but never something from this great master.”
Chekov, a Russian doctor who made his name as a short story writer, was closely associated with the Moscow Arts Theatre. Rodgers said Chekov’s plays may never have been performed, or even written, without his association with this theatre.
“Chekhov's voice is unique and his plays depend largely on mood and atmosphere, being concerned with inner feelings and not outward actions,” Rodgers explained. “This approach to playwriting was a perfect fit for the Moscow Art Theatre's Constantin Stanislavsky. Stanislavsky was one of the most influential directors, actors, and acting teachers of all time because he created the realistic or "method" acting style which we still teach and use today.”
The campus community is invited to experience the production. Admission is free for Meredith faculty, staff and students. Public admission is $5 for students/seniors and $10 for adults.
For tickets, contact the box office at (919) 760-2840 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
In this issue:
In this issue:
- Professor of Psychology Cynthia Edwards to Present Faculty Distinguished Lecture
- Meredith Celebrates Faculty/Staff Donors
- Celebrate the New Thomas Meredith Marker September 27
- Haitian Orphan Choir Visits Meredith College
- Fountain Plaza Dedication Planned for October 2
- Decision Height to be Presented by Meredith Ensemble Theatre
- Personal Stories: A Review of the Art Department Faculty & Staff Exhibition
- Alumni Educators and School Administrators Career Event Held
- The Library Out and About on Campus
- Wings Alumnae Share Insight with Current Students
- Faculty/Staff Accomplishments and Departmental News 9/20/17
CAMPUS CONNECTIONS ARCHIVES
Fax: (919) 760-8330