Meredith Celebrates Past and Future on Founders’ Day
Meredith College celebrated Founders’ Day on February 27, 2014, marking 123 years since the College’s founding in 1891. The College community took this opportunity to celebrate its success and to look toward the future.
“Today marks Meredith’s 123rd birthday, making this an ideal opportunity for faculty, staff, students, alumnae, and community members to gather to honor Meredith’s past, celebrate recent accomplishments and talk about the ways that Meredith College – an institution that is Going Strong -- will become even stronger in the future,” said President Jo Allen. A member of the Class of 1980, Allen is the first alumna to serve as Meredith’s president.
Meredith College has grown from a student body of 200 women when the College’s doors opened into one of the largest and most successful women’s colleges in the nation, with 2,000 students and 19,000 graduates.
Empowering Students for Success with StrongPoints™
At the Founders’ Day celebration, President Allen officially announced StrongPoints™, an innovative advising and personal coaching model that will be a defining element of the Meredith educational experience. The new program will officially begin in Fall 2014.
“Through this comprehensive initiative, students will identify their strengths, and examine over the course of their four years at Meredith how those strengths can help them shape their academic options, experiential involvement outside the classroom, financial goals and the means for achieving those goals, and career options,” Allen said.
Students will work with trained faculty/staff advisers to explore options and articulate goals that build on and enhance their strengths for succeeding in college and in life.
Through the StrongPoints™ program, students will have access to a number of resources, including the opportunity to create a career portfolio, the results of a robust assessment tool to identify individual strengths, and Strengths Lab, a dedicated on-campus support service to guide students in developing and refining their strengths.
Meredith Forever Strategic Plan Brings Strength and Success
Meredith College’s future success is guided by Meredith Forever, a three-year strategic plan that was approved in 2012.
At the Founders’ Day event, President Allen shared many of the accomplishments from the Meredith Forever plan:
- Meredith has added new programs, including an option to earn a certificate in health informatics as part of the Meredith MBA, a new undergraduate major in public health, and a post-baccalaureate certificate in pre-health.
- The College has graduated its largest four-year class in history, celebrated four-year graduation rates that surpass national averages, and expanded global diversity to 42 countries.
- Meredith has also taken decisive steps to enhance its financial strength, with noticeably positive results. Annual fundraising totals increased by 27% in 2013 and the number of annual giving donors increased by 68%.
- Meredith’s historic campus has been enhanced, through renovations and refurbishments to Belk Dining Hall, the Cate Student Center, Jones Auditorium, Wainwright Building, and Johnson Hall.
- Meredith has increased its visibility and reputation through the launch of a new branding campaign, Meredith College | Going Strong. The new brand speaks to our history of educating women, while also making it clear that we are a dynamic institution that continues to evolve and grow. Meredith also launched a landmark report on the Status of Girls in North Carolina in 2013 demonstrating the College's commitment to enhancing the well-being of girls and the best means of preparing them to be strong women.
About Meredith College
Chartered in 1891, Meredith College opened with just over 200 women. Today, our student body has grown to nearly 2,000, and includes men at the graduate level. Meredith challenges students to explore their interests, expand their skills, and build on their strengths. Our graduates go on to use their intellect and abilities to make a positive impact on the world. U.S. News, The Princeton Review and Forbes.com have all included Meredith in their “Best Colleges” lists. At 123 years and counting, Meredith College is still going strong.
Other Parent Articles
In this issue:
- Meredith College Holds 2017 Commencement
- Meredith College Names New Dean for the School of Arts and Humanities
- Student Health Insurance Requirements
- Awarding of Financial Aid for Current Students
- Three Tips to Help Set Your Student on a Strong Career Path
- Meredith Holds 15th LeaderShape Session
- Shop Online for Meredith Merchandise
- Fitness Center – Updates at a Glance
- Class of 2020 Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Fire & Water
- Meredith Avenging Angels Have Championship Season
- Class of 2017 Donors Recognized
- Annual Celebrating Student Achievement Day Held
- 2017-18 Meredith Travel Program Opportunities
- Mini-Commencement Celebration for Lacrosse Seniors
- Honoring Scholarship Donors
Fax: (919) 760-8330