Meredith Autism Program Receives Fletcher Foundation Grant
The Meredith Autism Program (MAP) has received a grant from the A.J. Fletcher Foundation to add a sensory room.
The Meredith Autism Program is an early intervention program serving children who are diagnosed on the autism spectrum. The program provides an intensive behavioral intervention where children with autism can acquire developmentally appropriate skills including play skills, receptive and expressive language, social skills, self-help skills, and pre-academics.
With the support of the A.J. Fletcher Foundation’s $10,000 grant, MAP will refurbish a classroom in Ledford Hall that will include options such as a ball pit, trampoline, sensory wall, therapeutic swing, balance beam, obstacle course and tunnel climbers.
In addition to the new sensory room, MAP is expanding its practice preschool program. MAP has offered a practice preschool program twice per week in the summer. This year, for the first time, this program will run five days per week.
In the practice preschool program, four typically developing preschool aged children will attend the MAP program. This will allow children enrolled in MAP to experience the preschool environment, explains MAP Director Kathryn Dove.
“Since we have four typical children and 10 children with autism this creates almost a 1:1 peer situation for the children to learn and model social skills” said Dove. “There is no other intensive, ABA local program that offers this. It is simply a marvelous experience for the Meredith students, community and our program.”
In this issue:
In this issue:
- Professor of Psychology Cynthia Edwards to Present Faculty Distinguished Lecture
- Meredith Celebrates Faculty/Staff Donors
- Celebrate the New Thomas Meredith Marker September 27
- Haitian Orphan Choir Visits Meredith College
- Fountain Plaza Dedication Planned for October 2
- Decision Height to be Presented by Meredith Ensemble Theatre
- Personal Stories: A Review of the Art Department Faculty & Staff Exhibition
- Alumni Educators and School Administrators Career Event Held
- The Library Out and About on Campus
- Wings Alumnae Share Insight with Current Students
- Faculty/Staff Accomplishments and Departmental News 9/20/17
CAMPUS CONNECTIONS ARCHIVES
Fax: (919) 760-8330