Faculty Research Spotlight: Walton Takes Shakespeare Knowledge on the Road
Dean of the School of Arts and Humanities Garry Walton, who teaches Meredith’s Shakespeare courses, recently visited with alumnae at several area high schools and theatre companies.
At the invitation of Cindy Thornton Strader, ’97, on February 27 he offered a presentation, “Preparing for Success in College,” at Cary High School’s College Planning Night, where Meredith Admissions Counselor Jesse Monroe was also a featured participant in a panel discussion on college admission.
On March 2 he joined a read-through of a new script of Macbeth as revised by Meredith alumna Rebecca Daw Blum, ’95, who is preparing to direct the play next year.
On February 27, he traveled to Clayton High School to lead discussions of Romeo and Juliet with the English classes of Anna Barefoot, ’13, and Danie Heider, daughter of alum Yvette Heider, 2000, who was also present.
On March 13 he joined Meredith English major and Teaching Fellow Elizabeth Guiles, ’14, to work with her three AP English classes at Holly Springs High School, where the students were beginning their study of Hamlet.
He has also traveled with current and former students to several Shakespeare productions this semester: to the Folger Theatre in Washington, D.C., on March 1 for Richard III starring Drew Cortese; to Winston-Salem’s HanesBrands Theatre for a broadcast of London’s National Theatre production of Coriolanus with Tom Hiddleston and Mark Gatiss; to Durham on April 5 for Cymbeline featuring Meredith alumnae Laura Jernigan (director), Sheryl Scott, and Rebecca Daw; to Staunton, Va., on April 13 for Othello at the American Shakespeare Center’s Blackfriars Theatre.
Faculty: If you have research projects you’d like to share in a future issue of Campus Connections, email a brief description of your work to Melyssa Allen, newsletter editor, firstname.lastname@example.org.
In this issue:
In this issue:
- Professor of Psychology Cynthia Edwards to Present Faculty Distinguished Lecture
- Meredith Celebrates Faculty/Staff Donors
- Celebrate the New Thomas Meredith Marker September 27
- Haitian Orphan Choir Visits Meredith College
- Fountain Plaza Dedication Planned for October 2
- Decision Height to be Presented by Meredith Ensemble Theatre
- Personal Stories: A Review of the Art Department Faculty & Staff Exhibition
- Alumni Educators and School Administrators Career Event Held
- The Library Out and About on Campus
- Wings Alumnae Share Insight with Current Students
- Faculty/Staff Accomplishments and Departmental News 9/20/17
CAMPUS CONNECTIONS ARCHIVES
Fax: (919) 760-8330