Avenging Angels Finding Success During Fall Sports Season
Meredith’s cross country, soccer and volleyball teams entered the second half of the season this week and continue to impact the USA South Athletic Conference. Each team finds themselves in a position for success as the conference championships approach.
The Avenging Angel harriers won their opening race this fall and continue to pace faster than competing Division III teams. Freshman Ann Chapin Meekins garnered Women’s Cross Country Rookie of the Week honors each of the first three weeks this season, and sophomore Allie Gallagher joined her teammate September 23 as the Runner of the Week.
As of October 4, the soccer team shared first place with Piedmont College in USA South standings and faces two of the top-five league teams in the coming weeks. Most recently, freshman Meghan Ingram earned the sport’s Rookie of the Week title after scoring the game-winner in a 2-1 win over new Covenant. Senior goalie Kelsey Hopper earned the first week’s Defensive Player of the Week honor and leads the league with a .900 save percentage.
In support of Assistant Soccer Coach Ashley Riggs, the team will host the 5K Run for Riggs following the Kick Cancer game scheduled for Sunday, Oct. 13, versus William Peace University. The $10 participant entry fee will be donated to the Susan G. Komen Foundation in honor of Riggs.
Thursday, Oct. 3, the Avenging Angel volleyball squad captured sole possession of second place in USA South North division standings with a 3-1 thriller over cross-town rival William Peace.
Volleyball’s freshman outside hitter Karlie Long earned her third consecutive Rookie of the Week honor September 30, and added Player of the Week to her career credits. Sophomore middle blocker Jasmine Aguinaldo reached the NCAA Division III national leader board in mid-September for blocks per set and continues to lead the league in all blocking categories. Senior Molly Markley supports the Avenging Angels with the second-best hitting percentage among USA South attackers and posts the third best total in solo blocks.
Visit goavengingangels.com for up-to-date results and schedules, and follow the fall student-athlete blog series with cross country’s Illa Jones, soccer’s Megan Luke, and volleyball’s writing duo Aguinaldo and April Hausler.
Other Parent Articles
- Meredith College Provides Warm Welcome to Class of 2021
- New Textbook Options for Meredith Students
- New Fitness Center Opens as a Result of Parent Philanthropy and Major Donor
- Introducing Academic Skills Coaching
- Less than a Month Until Cornhuskin’ 2017!
- Helping Your Student Connect on Campus
- Fall 2017 Opportunities for Career Exploration
- Flu Prevention at Meredith
- Professor of Psychology Cynthia Edwards to Present Faculty Distinguished Lecture
- Fall 2017 Updates from Financial Assistance
- 1891 Club Connects Students with Meredith College
- Special Events Kickoff Fall Semester
- What does Meredith College do for fire safety?
- Personalized Meredith College Tervis Tumblers® Available
Fax: (919) 760-8330