The holidays bring a break from school that provides a good time for high school students to make progress in their college searches. The Meredith College Office of Admissions offers the following tips for high school seniors on making the most of this opportunity:
1. Complete your college admissions applications and submit them in advance of the published deadline. Submitting complete applications well ahead of the deadline means your schools of choice are allotted more time to process your application and supporting credentials before the flood of mail arrives around the deadline date.
And, if you are applying to schools with rolling admissions, the earlier you apply, the earlier you receive your decision!
2. Search and apply for scholarships. Meredith’s scholarship deadline is January 15. Click here to see a complete listing of the College’s scholarships as well as many outside scholarship opportunities. Websites like www.cfnc.org and www.fastweb.com are also great resources for outside scholarship searches.
3. Still haven’t sent your SAT and/or ACT scores to Meredith? Contact the College Board to request them. Visit www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/scores.html for more information.
4. Have you visited each of the schools to which you are applying? If not, pull out the calendar and find a date that works for you and your family. Don’t forget Meredith College’s last Senior Visitation Day is January 28!
5. If you have been admitted Early Decision to a college or university, or have made your final decision to attend a particular school, withdraw any active or incomplete applications you have at other colleges. You won’t hurt any feelings; admissions offices will appreciate your honesty and respect for their staff time.
6. Get your tax information from 2012 together so you can apply for financial assistance. The 2013-14 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form will be available on January 1 at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
7. Is your spring semester senior year course load challenging enough? Don’t be afraid to tackle some honors and AP classes as you prepare for the rigors of a college curriculum.
For more information on admissions at Meredith, call 1-800-MEREDITH.
Phone: (919) 760-8087