Sustainable September Puts Focus on Thinking Green
The Meredith College community will “think green” this fall in celebration of the College’s annual Sustainable September.
A variety of programs are being organized by departments across campus, including educational activities, sessions on green jobs, local food options and other sustainable topics. By participating in Sustainable September programming, Meredith community members can learn the environmental, social and economic aspects of sustainability.
Highlights of Sustainable September include:
• Uncommon Journeys, Thinking about social aspects of sustainability. September 7 at 10 a.m., Jones Chapel
• Spotlight on Green LeaderShape visions, LeaderShape vision showcase. September 8 at 2 p.m. through September 9 at 3 p.m., Kresge Auditorium
• Using the community based social marketing model for behavior change, presentation by Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences Erin Lindquist and Sustainability Coordinator Laura Fieselman. September 16, 1-1:50 p.m. in SMB 157
• Campus energy audit overview, presentation by Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences Erin Lindquist and Energy Fellow Betsy Matthews. September19, 1-1:50 p.m. in SMB 157
• Theatre in the Park, “The Tempest.” Performances Sept. 28, 29 at 11 a.m., Sept. 30 and October 1 at 6 p.m. and October 2 at 3 p.m., McIver Amphitheater
• Student research highlighting environmental issues, Taste of Research, Wednesday, September 28 4-6 p.m. SMB Atrium
•Carbon Nation www.carbonnationmovie.com, September 14 at 7 p.m., 2nd Floor Cate Center Lounge
• Fresh. www.freshthemovie.com, September 21 at 7:30 p.m., Courtyard outside of Belk (Rain location is BDH West)
• What would Jesus buy? www.wwjbmovie.com, September 25, at 7 p.m., Jones Chapel
Green Job Opportunities
Learn how to connect your studies to sustainability – a diverse field that is increasingly in demand in a variety of disciplines.
• Networking event featuring green jobs across various disciplines, September 27 5:30-6:30 p.m., SMB Atrium
• Prepare for the networking event in advance, September 26 5 p.m., Academic & Career Planning
• Join the Meredith green careers group on Linked In, anytime
Green Living Choices
• Wellness Wednesdays at Belk Dining Hall. Every Wednesday at lunch explore low-calorie foods and alternative proteins.
• Wednesday Wellness Walk. Explore the greenway trail towards the art museum on Wednesday mornings in September; join Sherri Henderson, Director of the Health Center, for an early morning 3 mile walk. Meet in the parking lot behind Weatherspoon at 6:45 a.m.
• Library Foyer Display Case featuring library resources on being green, including books and films about sustainability.
A variety of other opportunities, including visits to local coffee shops, are also planned. Check Enews each Monday for updates and a schedule of that week’s activities.
For more information, visit www.meredith.edu/sustainability/sustainableseptember.htm or become a fan on Facebook at facebook.com/MeredithSustainability.
Date Submitted: 2011-09-06