DONATIONS TO THE LIBRARY
Gift Acceptance Policy
Carlyle Campbell Library, Meredith College
This page is about gift of books and other library materials. For information about monetary gifts to the library, see the Friends of the Library page.
The Carlyle Campbell Library has derived great benefit from the generosity of its friends and patrons. The following guidelines describe current procedures for making donations to the library:
Each donor is asked to sign a Carlyle Campbell Library gift agreement form indicating his/her understanding that
- The library has full ownership of the gift, including the right of copyright to manuscript materials.
- A bookplate giving the donor's name or the name of an individual in whose honor or memory the material is given may be placed in the material if a donor wishes.
- The decision to add gift materials to the library collections are made following the same guidelines as those governing the purchase of materials. The library reserves the right to dispose of duplicate and unneeded materials as appropriate, if the donor does not request the return of unneeded materials.
- Gift materials are processed into the collection, housed, circulated, and withdrawn from the collection in the same manner as materials purchased by the library. (Materials added to the archives are processed and stored according to accepted methods of archival management and do not circulate.)
In order to protect both the donor and Meredith College, the library staff does not provide appraisals since the library is an interested party.
- The appraisal of a gift for tax purposes is the responsibility of the donor.
- The cost of such an appraisal is borne by the donor.
- The library may, upon request, provide the names of professional appraisers. (Contact Ted Waller (919)760-8381 or email@example.com for more information.)
- The library's acceptance of a gift which has been appraised by a professional book or manuscript dealer does not imply that the library officially approves the appraisal.
Types of materials accepted as gifts
Due to changing technologies and limits on space, certain types of materials are only accepted under special circumstances.
Material Types that Are Accepted
- Compact discs (musical)
- Compact discs (spoken word)
- Printed music
- Archival materials related to Meredith College
Material types requiring special approval for acceptance
- 12 inch laser discs
- 33 1/3, 45, or 78 rpm records
- In languages other than English, French, or Spanish
- Items in poor condition
- Items with extensive underlining/highlighting
- Items with mold or evidence of insect infestation
- Textbooks more than 5 years old
Any exceptions to these policies must be approved in writing by Laura Davidson, Dean of Library Information Services. For more information, contact us at (919)760-8531 or firstname.lastname@example.org
donations gifts donations gifts donate gift donate gift