Questions submitted by Meredith College Students
- What do typical students or young adults like to do in Kenya?
- What is the best thing about living in/being from Kenya?
- What kind of programs/sports/clubs do your universities offer students?
- Are children taught in school some form of sex education?
- How much of the teen/young adult population in Kenya actually know the real causes and ways of spreading HIV/AIDS?
- How does the AIDS virus affect daily life in Kenya? In Africa? (this question is broad, so you can give as broad or detailed of an answer as you would like.)
- Has the UN been helpful in dealing with this crisis? Or International Organizations? Do they offer support groups?
- What kinds of social stigma are surrounding the virus? Do people (who are infected) feel like they have no where to go? Do they feel alienated from society? or Are they supported and cared for?
- What kind of governmental programs are in place to educate the public about AIDS prevention? Do children learn about safe sex in schools? Are there advertising campaigns such as billboards that promote condom use?
- How hard is it for Kenyans to find access to healthcare?
- Are there programs set up to help people find and afford medications for HIV?
- How do people from rural areas in Kenya get treatment?
- What kind of social stigma is associated with HIV/AIDS in Kenya? Are people excluded from jobs, housing, etc. because they are known to be HIV positive? If so, do people refuse testing because they are afraid of the reactions of family and other members of society?
- Can I get HIV from mosquitoes?
- How does HIV cause AIDS?
- How well does HIV survive outside the body?
- How long does it take for HIV to cause AIDS?
- What types of food do you eat in Kenya?
- How do you do your different types of shopping? Are there markets, stores to go to, or both?
- Do all students attend university?
- As a child growing up were you aware of AIDS and ways to prevent it or was it something that there was not a lot of awareness information about?
- Are there any creditable programs for dealing with children orphaned by AIDS in your country?
- As a college or a class do you have programs or have you planned informational programs to try to spread the awareness of AIDS and how to decrease the spread?
- In Kenya, are people relatively open about whether or not they have HIV/AIDS or is it a more secretive disease because of stigma?
- Do you know anyone personally who has/had HIV or AIDS?
- What myths are there about how one can become infected with HIV?
- Do students understand the difference between AIDS and HIV? How they are different and how they are similar?
- How has the epidemic effected your life in particular? Family life, social life, etc.?
- When did you first hear about HIV or AIDS?
- Are there programs aimed at the prevention of AIDS?
- Are the scientific details about AIDS taught in the classroom so that students have a clear understanding of how and why the disease is spread?
- Do individuals ignore the rapid spread and blame the numerous deaths on another illness?
- In your opinion, what will stop the spread of AIDS?
- How do you value the future of the children and their education?
- How do people living in the country with little communication learn about AIDS?
- Do you have specific programs that teach about AIDS/HIV?
- What are your schools like in Kenya?