Open Enrollment for 2013 Benefit Elections
Benefits Fair: October 16th, from 1:00 pm to 3:30 pm in Belk. This event is intended to provide you with much of the information you’ll need to make your enrollment decisions, but we hope it’s also a fun event! As always, we’ll have some great door prizes and refreshments. Please come join us for this important event! All forms mentioned below will be available at the Benefits Fair or from the Office of Human Resources.
Open Enrollment Dates: October 16th through November 16th (the Friday before Thanksgiving). That’s a whole month to complete your enrollment choices! Election forms cannot be submitted after November 16th.
2013 Enrollment/Change Forms:
- Section 125 FLEX FSA Annual Enrollment
- Section 125 FLEX FSA Medical Reimbursement
- Section 125 FLEX FSA Childcare Reimbursement
- Section 125 FLEX Direct Deposit Form
Some things to consider as you make your decisions for 2013 benefit elections:
Health Insurance Options: 1) High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP)/Health Savings Account (HSA); 2) Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) - 123; and the Opt-out. See link for rates and plan highlights for 1 &2. To change options, please complete the medical enrollment form.
- If you participate in the HDHP/Health Savings Account (HSA)option, the individual annual deductible is being increased by $1,000. To help you manage the extra cost, Meredith will contribute an additional $1,000 to your HSA account this year! That’s more than $102 per month going into your account including the current $19.10! And if you have a catastrophic medical event and meet your deductible within the first three months of the new year and need advance assistance with the deductible, loans will be available.
- Because the IRS has strict guidelines about participation eligibility for the HSA, you’ll be asked to complete a very brief “recertification form” if you are currently on the HSA plan and wish to continue it for 2013. These eligibility requirements prohibit anyone participating in Medicare, VA benefits or other low deductible health plan from having an HSA account, so we’ll help you make sure there aren’t any conflicts that could cause you problems later (you may still participate in the HDHP even if the HSA account is not available to you – see HR for details/alternative options).
- If you participate in the PPO-123 plan, the individual rate will increase from $459.34 to $477.24 per month. Meredith will pay half of that increase and contribute that same amount to any family coverage option. Keep in mind that premiums can be tax-sheltered for real savings!
- If you participate in Section 125 FLEX, the IRS requires that you reenroll each year. Please also keep in mind that the new IRS limit on your annual contribution is $2,500 per family (this is new - there hasn’t been a maximum in the past). New FLEX enrollment forms must be completed each year.
- If you elect the Opt-out, the monthly contribution from Meredith to you will increase from $75 per month to $100! We do want to make sure that no one forgoes health care coverage, so we will again require proof of alternative coverage.
- Re-enrollment is not required for dental or vision unless you wish to make a change. If you have coverage now, it will continue into 2013 as you currently have it. Superior Vision Insurance rates have not changed since 2008! They will again offer two plans – the full coverage option and the materials only version to dovetail with our BCBS Health vision benefit. There will be an increase in BCBS Dental rates.
- Unlike recent years, we will have a true open enrollment period for the LTD plan. This means if you apply for coverage now, you will be accepted with no medical questions. This is a huge opportunity if you’ve been denied in the past or did not sign-up when you were originally eligible! Please keep in mind that you must be employed for at least one year to be eligible and that Meredith pays half of the premium (premium is determined based on your age and rate of pay). If you are currently enrolled and wish to continue the coverage, no action is needed.
- It's also open enrollment for our Catastrophic Leave program. This program is available to regular, full-time staff. To be eligible, you must have a minimum of 80 hours of leave accumulated at the time of enrollment, and you must donate a minimum of 8 hours of leave to the program).
- The enrollment period for Long Term Care has been extended! You can still sign up through October 19, 2012.
- Our new BCBS wellness initiative starts in January! This is an exciting opportunity for you to impact your own health care costs, as well as the whole group’s renewals. You’ll have until June 30th to complete 125 points in the challenge (full information available at the Benefits Fair and from HR). And if you do, you’ll receive either $20 off of your PPO premiums each month, or an additional $20 will be contributed to your HSA account each month beginning in January 2014! Points are easy to accumulate and your participation can have a great impact on our group renewal rates for the new year. All information remains confidential and is designed to help you increase your health awareness and be healthier. Don’t worry if your preventative exams aren’t due during the months of January through June – as long as you’re current during that period (have had exams within the past 12 months), you’ve met that requirement!