Child Development Program Mission and Goals
The mission of the child development program at Meredith College is to offer an interdisciplinary program of study that prepares students to pursue careers in early childhood settings and agencies serving young children and their families, and to pursue graduate and professional studies. The philosophy underlying this program is that children develop within an ecological framework that includes the complex interrelationships among the child, the family, their diverse cultures and society at large. The program develops in students the knowledge and skills to promote the application of a developmental perspective to their work with children and families, to establish partnerships between families and child development professionals that reflect family-centered practices, and to provide educational and community programming that is inclusive of all children. Teacher licensure is available in B-K and K-6. See licensure requirements listed in the Department of Education.
Goals for the Child Development Program
Upon completion of the program, the student will:
- demonstrate mastery of professional standards and guidelines as set forth by the National Association for the Education of Young Children, the Division for Early Childhood of the Council for Exceptional Children, and the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction;
- design, adapt and evaluate integrated curriculum, inclusive environments, teaching practices and children’s learning utilizing reflective practice, developmentally appropriate guidelines, and evidence-based research;
- articulate and demonstrate mastery of family-centered practices and strategies for working with families of young children;
- use observation, documentation and assessment to support young children and families;
- evaluate, interpret and translate professional literature and theory into best practices for children and their families;
- advocate for children and families on the basis of best practices and policy; and
- participate in professional organizations serving children and families.