Alumnae Legacy Scholarship
Meredith women are known for their leadership, their academic accomplishments and their ability to make a difference in their communities. Driven by a desire to have a powerful impact on the Meredith community, a group of committed alumnae has created the Alumnae Legacy Scholarship, with the first scholarships awarded in fall 2007.
This prestigious scholarship is the highest honor available to an entering freshman, with a total estimated value to the student of $135,000 over her college career. Competition is open to any high school student, and the scholarship is awarded based on superior academic achievement, intellectual promise and leadership ability. Alumnae Legacy Scholars receive full tuition, room and board, books, supplies, international study, networking opportunities with the College president and alumnae, and other academic enrichment programs.
The four-year, full scholarship was a labor of love by a group of alumnae who are passionate about Meredith and the educational experience it offers. The scholarship was six years in the making, with fundraising accomplished through a grassroots effort by members of the scholarship steering committee. Now that the scholarship has been established, the committee is focused on expanding the fund to support even more Scholars. You can help support the legacy of the Meredith experience.
How You Can Help
• Give. Your financial support to this initiative will allow us to expand the number of Scholars in coming years. Gifts to the Alumnae Legacy Scholarship Endowment may be made in cash, securities, property or as a planned gift in your estate.
• Identify qualified applicants. This scholarship is an extraordinary opportunity for intellectually gifted, self-confident young women who possess demonstrated leadership abilities and outstanding scholastic achievement. As someone who is connected to Meredith College, you are in a unique position to help guide exceptional students to this scholarship.
For more information about how you can support the Alumnae Legacy Scholarship initiative, please contact:
Billie Jo Kennedy Cockman, ’79
Director of Strategic Giving
Phone: (919) 760-8371
Susan Hooker Metts, ’71
Director of Strategic Giving
Phone: (919) 760-8589
Alumnae Legacy Scholars benefit from this program, not only financially, but through the diverse enrichment activities they receive as part of the generous scholarship package. Scholars travel extensively, enjoy exceptional leadership opportunities and network with other outstanding students, alumnae and the Meredith College President.
The larger student body at Meredith also benefits from the involvement of extremely bright, motivated students. As one faculty member noted, “The more energized and motivated the students are, the better the experience is for everyone in that room.”
Although the College already draws on a rich pool of talented candidates for admission, competition for the best students is fierce. The Alumnae Legacy Scholarship is an essential recruitment tool that allows Meredith to compete with other top schools, while the prestige of the scholarship enhances the academic reputation of the school.
Creating this scholarship provides a meaningful way for Meredith alumnae to give back to the institution they love. And enhancing the school’s academic reputation increases the value of a Meredith degree.
Initial goal: $12 million
Raised to date: $5.5 million
When fully funded, the scholarship will be awarded to four freshmen each year, with 16 Scholars attending Meredith at any one time.
• A gift of $500,000 will offer a donor the opportunity to sponsor an individual scholar.
• A donor making a gift of $50,000 to the Alumnae Legacy Scholarship Program will be recognized through the creation of a named sub-endowment, also known as an “angel endowment.” The spendable portion of the interest income will be deposited in a pooled account to support Alumnae Legacy Scholarships.
For every year Alumnae Legacy Scholars remain full-time students and maintain a minimum quality point ratio of 3.30 on all courses, they receive:
• Full tuition and college-wide fees (four academic years)
• Full on-campus room and board
• Laptop and printer in a wireless environment
• Course-required books, fees and supplies
• Stipend for study abroad
• Leadership opportunities
• Participation in the “Focus on Excellence” cultural and social events. Past events have included a special focus on art, history, theatre, dance and music
• Participation in the Meredith Honors Program
• Association with the Meredith College President, outstanding scholars and alumnae
Scholarship recipients are expected to participate in the life of the College and to take advantage of all opportunities while developing a lifelong commitment to Meredith College. Alumnae Legacy Scholars are required to live on campus all four years.
The criteria for awarding the Alumnae Legacy Scholarship are rigorous and selective. Selection criteria include superior standardized test scores (SAT/ACT); an unweighted high school GPA of 3.80 and above, based on a 4.0 grading scale; position in top 10% of all freshman applicants; demonstrated leadership in high school and the community; strong communication and interpersonal skills. The scholarship is open to all high school students.
The selection process includes consultation with alumnae representatives, Meredith College faculty and administrators, director of the Honors Program, director of admissions, president of Meredith. Please contact the Admissions office for more information about this scholarship.
The Alumnae Legacy Scholarship shall not discriminate based on geography, national or ethnic origin, race, color, age, disability, creed, sexual orientation, religious affiliation or veterans status.