Financial Assistance / Frequently Asked Questions

How do I start the financial assistance process?
You should begin by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA can be filed online at In order to access the website, you will need to register for an FSA (Federal Student Aid) ID upon entering the site.  The FSA ID will serve as your username and electronic signature when completing your FASFA.

What is an FSA ID?
As stated on the Federal Student Aid website, an FSA (Federal Student Aid) ID is a username and password that students, parents, and borrowers must use to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education websites beginning May 10, 2015. Your FSA ID will replace your PIN as the way to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information through certain U.S. Department of Education websites. When logging in to these websites, you will be required to enter only your FSA ID username and password.

How do I get an FSA ID?
From the Federal Student Aid website, effective May 10, 2015, you will be able to create an FSA ID when visiting certain U.S. Department of Education websites.
The FSA ID process consists of three main steps:
1. Enter your log-in information.

  • Provide your e-mail, a unique username, and password and verify you are at least 13 years old.

2. Enter your personal information.

  • Provide your Social Security number, name, and date of birth.
  • Include your mailing address, e-mail address, telephone number, and language preference.
  • Provide answers to five challenge questions.

3. Submit your FSA ID information.

  • Agree to the terms and conditions.
  • Verify your e-mail address. (Note:  By verifying your e-mail address, you can use your e-mail address as your username when logging into certain U.S. Department of Education websites.)

*To print directions or for a visual click here.  

What are some deadlines I should be aware of?
February 15 – Priority deadline for sending in your Free Application for Federal Student Aid, but applications are accepted throughout the year.
August 1 – Payment is due for tuition and fees for the fall term.
December 15 – Payment is due for tuition and fees for the spring term.

Can I complete my FAFSA if my taxes are not finished?
Yes, the FAFSA allows you to use estimated tax information on the form. It is recommended that you use a previous year’s tax return to help you estimate your answers to the FAFSA questions. If you do use the estimated information, please update your FAFSA once your taxes have been completed.

What is the difference between a Subsidized and an Unsubsidized Loan?
A Subsidized Loan means that the federal government will pay the interest on the loan until you graduate or begin taking less than 6 credit hours. Repayment of the loan begins 6 months after graduation.
An Unsubsidized Loan accrues interest while you are in school, but repayment is still deferred until 6 months after graduation.

How much can I borrow from the Federal Direct Loan Program?
You will qualify to receive a Federal Direct loan simply by completing the FAFSA. How much of your loan is subsidized is determined by your financial need and the number of college credits you have earned. If the FAFSA indicates that you have a demonstrated financial need, you may qualify for the following loan amounts if you are a dependent student:

Classification (credits earned) : Subsidized | Unsubsidized = Total Loan
Freshman (0-25): $3,500 | $2,000 = $5,500
Sophomore (26-59): $4,500 | $2,000 = $6,500
Junior (60-89): $5,500 | $2,000 = $7,500
Senior (90+): $5,500 | $2,000 = $7,500

If you do not have a demonstrated financial need, you will qualify for the following amounts in the unsubsidized direct loan:

Classification (credits earned): Unsubsidized | Total Loan
Freshman (0-25): $5,500 | $5,500
Sophomore (26-59): $6,500 | $6,500
Junior (60-89): $7,500 | $7,500
Senior (90+): $7,500 | $7500

Graduate students may borrow up to $20,500 or up to the total annual graduate program cost of attendance, whichever is less.

What is the grace period for the Federal Direct Loan?
The Federal Direct Loan Program allows a grace period of 6 months before students need to begin repayment. The 6-month grace period begins after a student withdraws from school, begins attending less than half-time (To clarify, this means less than six hours for an undergraduate student and less than three hours for a graduate student) in any semester, or graduates.

Can I pay the interest on my Unsubsidized Direct Loan while I am in school?
Yes, it is to your advantage to do this. If you do not begin to pay the interest while in school, your accrued interest will be added to the principle of your loan. If you want to pay the interest, contact the servicer of your student loan after the loan has disbursed to Meredith. 

What if I don’t have enough money to pay for school, even after grant awards and if I take out the entire Federal Direct loan for which I am eligible?
Alternative loans are offered by a number of lenders to assist students in this situation. In general, these alternative loans require borrowers to have an established credit history and to demonstrate credit worthiness. In addition to alternative loans, students are encouraged to research outside scholarship opportunities.

What is a PLUS or alternative loan?
The Federal PLUS Loan program is a loan available to the parents of dependent undergraduate students. Applicants must pass a credit check to be eligible and may be required to file a financial needs test. The maximum loan amount is the estimated cost of attendance minus any other aid you may receive. 

An alternative loan is a loan available directly to students through an outside lender. Applicants are subject to a credit check, and depending on credit history, may require someone to co-sign the loan. While interest does typically accrue on an alternative loan while a student is attending school, repayment is often deferred until 6 months after graduation.

Numerous lenders offer PLUS and alternative loans. Learn more about borrowing a PLUS or alternative loan.

Is financial aid renewable?
It is not automatically renewed. However, if family circumstances do not change significantly, the award will be similar each year. You must, however, resubmit the FAFSA each year and maintain satisfactory academic progress. Students who do not receive aid in one year may apply in subsequent years.

My parents are divorced. How does that affect my financial aid application?
The parent with whom the student lived most in the past 12 months should complete the financial aid forms. If, for example, this parent is the mother, then the mother should complete the FAFSA using only her financial information, even if a joint return was filed. If a parent has remarried, then the stepparent’s information is also required on the FAFSA.

I am a transfer student. Am I eligible for financial aid?
Yes. Transfer students follow the same procedures as freshmen.

How are financial aid packages for “early decision” students prepared?
An early decision award estimate is made with information collected on the Meredith College Early Decision Aid Application. This evaluation is done prior to December 1 to allow prospective students to have the information to make a decision. Later on in the process, the early decision students will complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and receive a finalized award.

When are financial aid packages awarded?
You must be officially accepted by Meredith before any financial aid package can be offered. New students whose FAFSA is received by February 15 will be given priority for awards and will be notified of aid eligibility by early April. Returning students typically receive their award packages in June.

What happens if I submit my financial aid information after the February 15 deadline?
Our priority deadline means that all applications received by this date will receive maximum consideration for all available funds. Students applying after the priority deadline are less likely to receive maximum funds.

Do you have any helpful tips for filling out the FAFSA?
There are a few things you will want to keep in mind when completing the FAFSA

  1. Make sure you double check your information - Social Security number, date of birth, and name (legal name) must be those of the recipient; incorrect information here will severely delay the processing of your application.
  2. Enter Meredith’s school code - #002945 on your FAFSA to ensure that we receive the data.
  3. Leave no blanks - Unless instructed to do so, make sure all blanks are filled in, even if that means entering a “0”. Read the FAFSA instructions carefully.
  4. Don’t procrastinate - Complete your FAFSA as soon after January 1 as possible. Remember, you must file your FAFSA by the priority deadline (February 15 for new students; March 15 for returning students) in order for you to receive priority funding.

What happens if I withdraw during the semester?
Students who withdraw after the semester has begun are subject to Meredith’s published Student Withdrawal Policy. To read this policy, click here.

What is “Satisfactory Academic Progress” and what happens if I do not meet this requirement?
In order to receive financial assistance, students must demonstrate satisfactory academic progress as defined by the College policy. To read this policy, click here.

If a Student has a Complaint what is the Process?
Federal regulations require that institutions that participate in Federal student aid programs authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 as amended must have a process whereby the State in which the institution is located can review and appropriately act on complaints arising under State law. The complaint process available through the N.C. Department of Justice has been deemed by Deputy Assistant Secretary Bergeron (July, 2011) to satisfy the provisions of 34 CFR 600.9(a)(1) requirement. More information on this requirement or instructions on how to file a complaint can be found here:

Letters can be mailed to the Consumer Affairs Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice:

North Carolina Department of Justice
Consumer Protection Division
9001 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001

The phone number is: 1-877-566-7226

An online complaint form is available at:

What is the College Navigator?
The National Center for Education Statistics offers an online tool for students to compare the cost of colleges. Learn more


Contact Information:

3rd Floor, Johnson Hall
(919) 760-8565
Fax: (919) 760-2373
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)