The safety, security and well being of all members of our community are always of the highest priority on our campus. In the event of a hurricane watch or warning in the Raleigh area, Meredith College will take the following hurricane preparedness measures.
The dining hall is making plans to provide services in case of severe weather in Raleigh. Meredith residence life staff members have reviewed inclement weather procedures and residence directors are equipped with flashlights, cellular phones, etc.
In addition to the measures taken by the College, students, faculty and staff are encouraged to take the following steps to further ensure their individual safety:
- Familiarize yourself with the “Severe Weather” tips and procedures outlined in Meredith’s emergency plan.
- Check the following resources for forecasting and safety information: www.wral.com/weather, www.redcross.org and www.fema.gov.
- Check in with family and friends, as well as the campus community, to apprise them of your safety and whereabouts.
- Stay on campus or in the Raleigh area instead of traveling to coastal areas that may be more at risk.
- Register for MC Alert, Meredith’s emergency notification system, if you have not already done so. Visit www.meredith.edu/mc-alert for more information.
Click here for a list of Hurricane Preparedness Tips and Other Resources.
If needed, commuter students can make arrangements to seek shelter on campus during the storm. Commuter students who need to seek safe shelter from their current residence should contact the Residence Director on Duty at (919) 612-6350 to be assigned a temporary space in a Meredith residence hall. Please bring a sleeping bag and/or blanket, a pillow and toiletries.
College Closing/Class Cancellations
If it becomes necessary to close the college, to delay classes, or to cancel college events, the procedures below will be followed.
Members of the Senior Management Team will make decisions relating to the closure of the college or to the cancellation of classes. Decisions will then be announced immediately through the following avenues (listed in priority order):
- Meredith’s Inclement Weather Line, (919-832-8878);
- the Meredith College web site (providing that electricity is available to the college campus);
- WRAL-TV and/or WPTF radio.