Professor of Art
Areas of Expertise
- Digal imaginigvideo
- Video production
Jane Terry is a native of Raleigh, North Carolina. She lived in the San Francisco Bay Area during the 1980s, where Lawson Galleries in San Francisco represented her. In 1989, Terry was teaching assistant to photographer Denis Brihat at Lacoste School of Art in France. Afterward, she taught photography at Tyler School of Art in Philadelphia, where she was awarded a Graduate School Fellowship and a Teaching Assistantship. She has taught at Meredith College since 1993.
Terry is the recipient of numerous awards and grants, including the prestigious Peter and Madeleine Martin Foundation for the Creative Arts grant and an artist residency at Anderson Ranch Arts Center in Snowmass Village, CO. She has exhibited widely at regional and national venues including Luise Ross Gallery, New York, NY; Louis K. Meisel Gallery, New York, NY; the San Francisco Art Institute, CA; Jacksonville Museum of Modern Art, FL; North Carolina Museum of Art; and Wake Forest University Fine Arts Gallery. Her video work has been screened at two international Dallas Video Festivals at the Angelika Film Center in Dallas, TX. Terry’s work has appeared or been reviewed in publications such as Popular Photography and Imaging, American Photographer and Kennedy Promotions Best of book series. Her current work focuses on personal myths and truths that emerge from memories.
M.F.A., Tyler School of Art, Temple University
B.F.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Peter and Madeleine Martin Foundation for the Creative Arts Grant
- Anderson Ranch Arts Center Artist Residency Award
- United Arts Council Artist Project Grant (awarded twice)
- First Place Award, Fine Art Photography, 4th Merry Moor Winnett Triennial, Green Hill Center of North Carolina Art, Greensboro
Memory, Myth and Meaning–Lauren Schiller, Jane Terry and Susan Watson full color exhibition brochure with essay by Lia Newman, Director of Programs and Exhibitions, Artspace, Raleigh, NC, September, 2011.
8th Photographic Image Biennial Exhibition, Wellington B. Gray Gallery, East Carolina University, Greenville; Great Photographs, Luise Ross Gallery, New York, NY; Memory, Myth and Meaning–Lauren Schiller, Jane Terry and Susan Watson, Gallery 2, Artspace, Raleigh (Curator: Lia Newman, Director of Programs and Exhibitions, Artspace); Multicultural Caucus Film and Video Festival, Society for Photographic Education National Conference, Atlanta, GA; 22nd Dallas Video Fest, Angelika Film Center, Dallas, TX; Fragile Bodies, Drawing and Video: A National Juried Exhibition, Northern Kentucky University Main Gallery, Highland Heights, KY; Telling Our Stories, North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources traveling exhibition (Curator: Linda Johnson Dougherty, Curator of Contemporary Art, North Carolina Museum of Art); A Matter of Time, Points of View Gallery, Raleigh (solo)
- Represented in prominent private collections in San Francisco, Minneapolis, and Greensboro and the collection of the Investment Offices of Wells Fargo Advisors, Raleigh, NC.
- First alternate for the 2010-2011 North Carolina Arts Council Film and Video Artist Fellowship.
- Profiled in a feature article of Endeavors of Excellence, Academic Vice President’s Report for Faculty Scholarship, Awards and Grants, Academic Year 2007-08
Need help locating someone?
Contact the Office of Human Resources
Located in 1st Floor Park Center
Main Phone: (919) 760-8898
Fax: (919) 760-8164