Areas of Expertise
- Rhetoric, writing, and composition
- The rhetorics of the physical body and the materiality of language
- Lived experience of writers
Carmen Christopher is the Learning Center Director, Assistant Professor of English, and the Dorothy Boone Decker Endowed Chair for Learning. She earned a PhD from Old Dominion University in Rhetoric and Textual Studies; her dissertation recovers a methodology to map the lived experiences of freshman women students in first-year composition. She hails from Julian, NC and now lives in Raleigh. She enjoys gardening, yoga, book club, playing guitar, and boating.
- PhD in English, concentration in rhetoric and textual studies, Old Dominion University
- MA in English, concentration composition & rhetoric, NC State University
- BA in English, concentration creative writing, UNC Greensboro
- Dorothy Boone Decker Endowed Chair for Learning; awarded by the President of Meredith College (September 2012)
- Laura Harrill Presidential Award for noteworthy contributions to the advancement of Meredith College (May 2012)
- Sampson Community College Excellence in Teaching Award (May 2006)
- NC State University Office of the Provost University Award for Excellence (April 2001)
- “Tutoring Foreign Languages.” College Reading & Learning Association Tutor Training Handbook. Eds. Russ Hodges and Karen Agee. Mason, OH: Cengage Learning, 2012. 348-350.
- Review of Composition Studies in the New Millennium: Rereading the Past, Rewriting the Future by Lynn Z. Bloom, Donald A. Daiker, and Edward M. White, Eds. Issues in Writing. 15.2 (Spring/Summer 2005).
- “Recognizing Dialectical Difference: The Art of Training Writing Tutors” by Beth Bir (Fayetteville State University) and Carmen Christopher (NC State University). Writing Lab Newsletter. 27.9 (May 2003).
- Review of Stories from the Center: Connecting Narrative and Theory in the Writing Center by Lynn Craigue Briggs and Meg Woolbright, Eds. NACADA Journal 22.1 (2002): 96.
- Co-author of The Transition to Higher Education textbook, NC State, First Year College, 2002-2003.
- “Lived Experiences of Freshmen Women Students.” ODU 34th Annual Conference on the Teaching of Writing, Norfolk, VA. March 2013.
- “Meeting of Minds: Extended Cognition and the Public Space of the Composition Classroom.” College Composition and Communication Conference, Las Vegas, NV. March, 2013.
Need help locating someone?
Contact the Office of Human Resources
Located in 1st Floor Park Center
Main Phone: (919) 760-8898
Fax: (919) 760-8164