Dance and Theatre Facilities
Jones Auditorium has a proscenium theatre that seats 400 patrons downstairs and 220 in the balcony. Many dance and theatre productions are held in Jones Auditorium, which also hosts Meredith's lecture series and other special events each semester. Built in 1949, the auditorium was renovated in 1973 and had another facelift in the summer of 2008. The auditorium was named in honor of former trustees Wesley Norwood Jones and Sallie Bailey Jones.
Studio Theatre is a black box theatre located below Jones Auditorium. The seating arrangement can vary according to the demands of the production, but averages about 90 seats per show. This theatre is also used as a classroom and has mirrored walls covered by curtains to facilitate dance or movement courses.
Weatherspoon Gym houses the main dance studio, an approximately 1,300 square foot space with natural lighting and a sprung floor, which is used for technique classes, rehearsals and many lab courses. The smaller Movement Lab, also in Weatherspoon Gym, is used for lab classes and student rehearsals.
The costume shop is upstairs in Jones Hall, while the scene shop is located downstairs across from Studio Theatre, next to the green room.
The theatre faculty offices are located downstairs in Jones Hall, as are the theatre classrooms. Dance faculty members have their offices in Weatherspoon Building, where the Movement Lab, used for dance classes and rehearsals, is located.