Chemistry, Physics and Geoscience - Facilities and Labs
Each full-time faculty member in the sciences has access to an individual research lab dedicated specifically to ongoing student-faculty research projects.
When designing Meredith's new Science and Mathematics Building, the architects worked closely with Meredith professors to customize the teaching and research labs to support the different research needs of each discipline.
- Environmental Botany: Located on the west end of the first floor, this lab—like many other labs—has space for for long-term experiments, rather than experiments that have to be taken down the same day they are set up.
- Anatomy & Physiology Lab: Located in the northeast corner of the building, this lab has research stations along its perimeter. Equipped with snorkel fume hoods, the lab allows for independent dissection of preserved specimens, and it contains computerized physiological hardware for data analysis.
- Molecular/Microbiology Lab: This space is outfitted to accommodate the study of the properties and manipulations of DNA, RNA and proteins, especially as they relate to the Human Genome Project, bioinformatics, animal and plan cloning, and other emerging technologies. Other features include standing height benches, a biosafety cabinet that allows for the safe handling of Class II microbes, and a prep room.
- Microscopy Suite: This suite, located on the first floor, contains a scanning electron microscope and other advanced light microscopes that will benefit microbiology students, as well as students in chemistry, interior design, nutrition, physics, and geology courses.
- Organic Chemistry Lab: An organic chemistry lab features an open design and numerous fume hoods to allow students to work safely with volatile organic chemicals. Chemistry students also have access to a 300 MHz nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometer, an instrument that provides detailed information about the structure of complex molecules.
- Scanning electron microscope
- 300MHz nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometer
- Microscopes for each student
- Computer controlled telescope platform
- Gas chromatograph-mass spectrometer
- Fourier transform infrared spectrophotometer
- High performance liquid chromatograph
- General Chemistry
- Analytical & Physical Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Analytical Balance Room
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
- Astronomy Observation