- Assistant Professor of Art Warner Hyde’s sculpture, "Earth Orb," was accepted into the 16th Annual Nellie Smith National Juried Pottery Competition. The competition will open in late October at Cape Fear Studios in Fayetteville, N.C.
- Media Specialist John Kincheloe’s work with Virginia’s Fort Christanna Historical Site is featured in the 2011 Explore Brunswick County publication, a visitor/newcomer’s guide for Brunswick County, Virginia. Kincheloe is a historical consultant to the Fort Christanna Site Development Committee, which earned a 2010 American Association for State and Local History Award of Merit.
- Director of Admissions Jen Miller-Hogg was interviewed by NBC-17 for a story about whether family finances affect college admission. The story ran on September 29.
- Assistant Professor of English Kelly Morris Roberts presented "Critical Thinking Frameworks for Pre-service Teachers: Strategies for Content Area Instruction" at the annual meeting of the North Carolina Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators in September. This presentation grew out of her work with Meredith’s PRISM initiatives for infusing critical thinking into existing courses as well as her interest in literacy frameworks through the College Board.
- Assistant Professor of Communication Michiko Yamada organized a fundraiser to support Japanese children orphaned by the 2011 earthquake. She also was interviewed by WPTF radio about the event, which raised more than $1,500.
Yamada shared the following message with the campus community:
“I want to thank everyone who came to the Saturday night Japanese earthquake/tsunami orphans fundraiser concert and those who couldn't come but showed emotional support for the event. I also want to thank Meredith College for offering to host this concert, all performers including Professor of Dance Alyson Colwell-Waber's students and the many others who helped make this concert happen. I truly appreciate everyone's kindness.”
The next issue of Campus Connections will be published on October 18. Submit items for Faculty/Staff Accomplishments to firstname.lastname@example.org.