Psychology / Field Experience
Psychology majors and minors may complete up to five credit hours in Community Field Experience. Field placements range from introductory level settings where the student explores a field or career to intensive pre-professional level where the student completes a field placement over two or more semesters.
During the field placement, the student will:
- Apply the knowledge and skills gained in her psychology classes to a practical setting;
- Gain exposure and experience in at least one aspect of the profession of psychology;
- Discuss the application of the Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct of the American Psychological Association to her particular field setting; and
- Demonstrate development of interpersonal awareness, sensitivity and self-knowledge.
Students are required to take PSY 100 and obtain permission from the instructor before beginning the field placement. Other requirements include submission of weekly journals and completion of a written report.
One credit hour of a field placement is equivalent to 45 hours of work in the community. Students usually work three to four hours per week, per credit.
Recent Field Placements
Psychology students gain practical experience in all kinds of settings. Some examples of recent field placements completed by Meredith Psychology majors include:
- Environmental Protection Agency - Neuroscience research in behavioral neurotoxicology
- Hillcrest Convalescent Center - Occupational Therapy with older adults
- Pediatric Possibilities - Occupational Therapy (OT) with children
- United States Attorney's Office - Human Resources
- Tammy Lynn Center for Developmental Disabilities - Clinical Psychology, Occupational Therapy (OT), Speech-Language Pathology (SLP)
- Frankie Lemmon School and Development Center - early childhood intervention, OT, SLP
- V.O.I.C.E. Therapeutic Solutions - Mental health counseling for children and adults
- Wake County Public Schools - Guidance, Special Education, Early Intervention, OT, SLP
- Life Experiences, Inc. – Adults with developmental disabilities
- Interact – Domestic violence and sexual assault - counseling and intervention with children and adults
- Raleigh Police Department - open to students double majoring in psychology and criminology
The Psychology Program at Meredith
Lara Pantlin, '14
Psychology major Lara Pantlin has had multiple research experiences as a student at Meredith.
Associate Professor of Psychology Gwynn Morris explains childhood amnesia
Have you ever wondered why you can’t remember much of your childhood, but the children in your life can remember everything? In this episode of The Meredith Minute, Associate Professor of Psychology Gwynn Morris explains childhood amnesia.
Department Head, Psychology and Social Work
108 Ledford Hall
Psychology & Social Work Department »