109 Martin Hall
Phone: (919) 760-8420
The Hatcher Language Lab includes 24 computers and other specialized equipment to facilitate language acquisition. Students are allowed to use reference materials on the shelves, but may not remove resources from the lab.
Location and Hours:
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Le Cercle Français – French Club
Le Cercle Français is composed of students who are interested in learning more about the cultures, languages and peoples of French-speaking countries. Le Cercle Français sponsors fund raisers and other activities of interest.
Advisor: Brent Pitts
La Tertulia – Spanish Club
The club is composed of students interested in the languages and cultures of Spain and Latin America. Its purpose is to promote interest in the diversity of cultural and artistic representation of the Spanish-speaking world. It sponsors a variety of activities throughout the academic year, including dances, speakers, etc.
Advisor: Debora Maldonado-DeOliveira
La Società Italiana – Italian Club
The club promotes the study of the Italian language and culture for all Meredith students and faculty.
Pi Delta Phi – French Honor Society
The purpose of the National French Honor Society Pi Delta Phi is to recognize outstanding scholarship in French and francophone language and literature, to increase the knowledge and admiration of Americans for the contribution of French speakers to world culture and to stimulate and encourage cultural activities which will lead to a deeper appreciation of French and francophone and its people.
Requirements for membership are as follows:
- Completion of at least two 300-level courses in French at Meredith among the following courses: FRE 308/309, FRE 306, FRE 304, French Translation, FRE 498/499 or the equivalent
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in French studies
- Minimum GPA of 2.8 in general studies
Advisor: Veronique Machelidon
Sigma Delta Pi – Spanish Honor Society
The National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society, Sigma Delta Pi, honors those who attain excellence in the study of the Spanish language and the literature and culture of Spanish-speaking peoples.
The requirements for membership are as follows:
- Completion of at least six credit hours in the 300-level of Spanish at Meredith or the equivalent
- Three credit hours must have been earned by taking a 300-level literature course
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in Spanish studies
- A rank in the upper 35% of your class
- Completion of at least three semesters of your college career
Advisor: Astrid Billat
Studying abroad is a great way to hone your language skills, increase your independence and self-confidence, and prepare for employment in an increasingly global market.