The Academic & Cultural Events Requirement
Meredith requires that students participate in 8 academic/cultural events throughout their college careers.
This Academic / Cultural events requirement is a part of what we describe as experiential learning. This type of learning encourages the development of skills, knowledge, and/or dispositions through engagement in educational experiences that take place beyond the classroom. It is a form of active learning that can include attending cultural events; visiting museums, laboratories, and civic and government offices; participating in service learning; experiencing a Native American pow wow; engaging in an internship or co-op experience in a professional work setting; student teaching, conducting independent or team research, and so on.
This aspect of general education allows us to take advantage of our enviable location in our state’s capital and in the heart of one of the richest areas for research, culture, and learning in the United States. We invite students to take advantage of the rich academic and cultural resources in central NC!
To receive credit for an academic or cultural event, make sure it is the type of event that DOES fulfill the requirement, fill out the Academic/Cultural Events Form, give a copy to your academic advisor, and take a signed copy to the Registrar’s office for your official graduation records. SAVE a copy for yourself!
- Meredith campus-wide Convocations and symposia,
- Meredith College diversity events and speakers,
- participation in assigned performances or events through Meredith College courses, and
- Attendance at one full presentation session on Meredith’s Day of Celebrating Student Achievement (spring semesters).
Also at Meredith or at other venues:
- plays, musical performances and performing arts concerts,
- public lectures, poetry and literary readings,
- art museum shows or gallery openings,
- film festivals,
- cultural events such as a pow wow or an international festival,
If you are a student or faculty member desiring that an event you are organizing be qualified as an Academic/Cultural Event--especially if you want to promote the event as qualifying--please contact the Office of General Education.
- sporting or athletic events (e.g. an NCSU football game),
- state or county fairs,
- pop music concerts—including hip hop, country, rock, and so on,
- church plays and festivals,
- profession-oriented presentations at student organization meetings, and
- traditional Meredith student activities such as Cornhuskin’, balls and dances, and so on.
If you are concerned whether or not your event fulfills the requirement, contact the Director of General Education BEFORE attendance (760-2356 or firstname.lastname@example.org).