About Meredith / What Makes Us Strong
What Makes Us Strong
What makes Meredith strong?
We could answer that question any number of ways: Our 22,000 graduates who are going strong across the country and around the world. Our smart students who are engaged in research, community-based learning, studying abroad and preparing to make a difference in their communities. Our talented faculty and staff who make Meredith College stronger every day with their unwavering commitment to Meredith's mission. All going strong.
- According to U.S. News, Meredith has been consistently ranked both a top regional and national college, and was ranked in the top 25% of liberal arts colleges in the country by high school counselors
- Ranks among the top 20% of colleges in the country by Forbes.com
- Is one of the “Best Colleges in the Southeast” according to The Princeton Review
- Is one of the Top Ten Colleges in North Carolina according to USA Today College
- Has been named a "College of Distinction" with special field of study recognition in business and education
- Named a "Best College" in North Carolina by LearnHowtoBecome.org
- Named one of North Carolina's Best Colleges and is among the nation's Best Women's Colleges according to BestColleges.com
- Among the “Top 50 Alma Maters of National Board Certified Teachers.” Meredith was the only private institution in North Carolina to make the list, which is compiled by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards.
- Named a 2015 Military Friendly School. This list honors the top 15 percent of colleges, universities and trade schools in the country that are doing the most to embrace America’s military service members, veterans, and spouses as students and ensure their success on campus.
- Named the #4 Best College for Veterans in the South by U.S. News
- Included on the 2015 STEM Jobs Approved College List
- Rated number five on the College Choice 2015 Best U.S. Women's Colleges ranking. Meredith scored a 91 in academic reputation, which was the second highest on the list.
- Fashion Merchandising program has been ranked 18th nationally and Fashion Design program ranked among Top Ten in the South by fashion-schools.org
StrongPoints is a defining element of the Meredith College educational experience. Through this unique personal coaching and advising model, students identify their strengths using a research-based assessment tool. Then, throughout their four years at Meredith, they examine how those strengths can help shape their academic goals, experiential involvement, financial planning, and career choice. The result is a stronger college experience - and preparation for a more successful and fulfilled life.
- 96% of students participate in internships, study abroad, undergraduate research, or another kind of experiential learning.
- More than 100 student clubs and organizations
- Nearly 30% of students study abroad (compare that to a 9% national average)
- 32% of students participate in undergraduate research (compared to a 23% national average)
- 8 NCAA Division III teams (basketball, cross country, lacrosse, soccer, softball, tennis, track & field, volleyball)
- 12:1 student/faculty ratio
- 133 full-time teaching faculty members
- Average class size of 17 students
- One of only two women’s colleges in the world that are accredited by AACSB International. Just one third of U.S. business programs and 5% of business programs worldwide are AACSB-accredited.
- Program accreditation in education, social work, nutrition, music and interior design. Meredith is the only College in the Triangle area whose interior design program is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA).
- Accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award baccalaureate and masters degrees
- Over 95% of freshmen receive financial assistance
- Meredith awarded $24 million in scholarships and grants to students in 2016-17.
- Meredith coordinates $54 million in financial assistance annually
- Over the past three years, 93% of graduates are employed or pursuing graduate study within a few short months of graduation.
- 96% of graduates would choose Meredith again, and 99% would recommend Meredith to others.
- 98% of Meredith graduates were satisfied with their academic experience, and 97% of recent alumnae say they were professionally well-prepared as a result of their Meredith experience.