Chartered in 1891, Meredith College opened with just over 200 women. Today, our student body has grown to nearly 2,000 and includes men at the graduate level. Meredith challenges students to explore their interests, expand their skills, and build on their strengths. Our graduates go on to use their intellect and abilities to make a positive impact on the world. At 123 years and counting, Meredith College is still going strong.
- Undergraduate majors, minors and concentrations: 70
- Coeducational graduate and certificate programs: 15
- Undergraduate degrees: B.A., B.S., B.M., B.S.W.
- Graduate degrees: MAT, MBA, M.Ed., M.S. in Nutrition
- Student/faculty ratio: 12:1
- Average class size: 17
- Students come from 26 states and 40 countries
- Total enrollment: 1,885
- Graduate enrollment: 241
- Multicultural students: 25%
- Student clubs and organizations: 100+
- Division III athletic teams:7
- 32% of students participate in undergraduate research
- 31% of students participate in study abroad. (compared to national average of 9%)
- 98.5% of our graduates are employed or pursuing graduate study within 9 months of graduation.
- 93% of our graduates would choose Meredith again, and 97% would recommend Meredith to others.
- 97% of our graduates were very satisfied with their academic experience
- Graduates living in all 50 States and abroad: 19,000
- Ranked 6th among regional colleges in the South, and 9th for "Best Value" by U.S. News & World Report.
- Ranked among the top 20% of colleges in the country by Forbes.com
- One of the “Best Colleges in the Southeast” according to The Princeton Review
- Named a "College of Distinction"
Academics and Special Programs
- The Undergraduate Research Program supports student/faculty partnerships in the pursuit of research and creative activity in all fields. College funds underwrite travel costs for students presenting their work at conferences.
- Study abroad options include a semester-long program in Sansepolcro, Italy, with additional opportunities worldwide including Costa Rica, Iceland, and France.
- Honors program offers special classes, individualized study and research, travel opportunities, and enrichment activities.
- Internships and Cooperative Education are available in all areas of study.
- Dual degree engineering program offered in partnership with NC State University.
- Undergraduate student-faculty ratio is approximately 12:1.
- Average class size is 17.
- 122 full-time teaching faculty members.
- 91% of full-time professors have earned doctoral or other terminal degrees.
Campus and Facilities
- Meredith College is located in Raleigh, North Carolina’s capital city. More than 115,000 college students reside in the Research Triangle Park area, the country’s premiere research and development hub.
- Historic 225-acre campus includes a 1,200 seat amphitheater on a lake, seven residence halls and student apartments, student center, indoor swimming pool and fitness center, athletic field and track complex.
- Carlyle Campbell Library has more than 190,000 volumes, 16,000 microforms and 3000 newspaper and journal subscriptions.
- Science and mathematics building includes unique classroom settings, specialized labs, and a telescope observatory deck.
- Meredith Avenging Angels compete in seven NCAA Division III sports: basketball, soccer, volleyball, tennis, softball, cross-country, and lacrosse.
- A member of the USA South Athletic Conference since 2007, Meredith has claimed tournament titles in lacrosse, soccer and tennis, a regular season soccer championship, and a cross country championship.
- Meredith sponsors frequent lectures, juried student exhibitions, an active concert schedule, and exhibitions featuring professional artists.
- Students participate in theatre and dance performance troupes and a variety of vocal and instrumental ensembles.
- Leadership programs include Sophie Lanneau Women’s Leadership Development Program and the LeaderShape®Institute.
Accreditation and Degrees
- Meredith College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097; telephone 404-679-4501) to award bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
- Meredith is also accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Council on Social Work Education, Council for Interior Design Accreditation, North Carolina State Department of Public Instruction, National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education of the American Dietetic Association, and Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International.
Tuition and Financial Assistance
- Tuition and fees for full-time undergraduate students in 2013-14 is $30,562, with room and board at $8,766, for a total of $39,328.
- $44 million in financial assistance coordinated by Meredith in 2012-13
- Over 300 endowed scholarships are available to Meredith students