Emergency Procedures / Missing Residential Student Notification Policy
Meredith College takes student safety very seriously. If a member of the College community has reason to believe that a Meredith student who resides in on-campus housing is missing, he or she should immediately notify Meredith College Campus Police at 919-760-8888. Campus Police, in conjunction with College Programs staff (residence life staff, Dean of Students, etc.), will initiate an investigation which will include the following:
- Conduct a welfare check in the student’s on-campus residence.
- Attempt to contact the missing student via her phone numbers on file in the Office of Residence Life and/or the Office of the Registrar.
- Call or speak in person with known contacts such as roommate, suitemates, apartment mates, and friends.
- Contact student employer, if known.
- Contact the student’s professors to gather information about the student’s recent class attendance.
- If the student has a vehicle, Campus Police will attempt to locate the vehicle on campus.
If the student cannot be located after reasonable efforts, the Dean of Students or the Chief of Campus Police will then contact the student’s emergency contacts no later than 24 hours after the student has been determined to be missing. If a confidential contact has been listed by the student and the student is over the age of 18, that person will be contacted. If the missing student is under the age of 18 and is not an emancipated individual, the Dean of Students or the Chief of Campus Police will notify the student’s parents or legal guardians. If the investigation indicates that a student is missing, Campus Police will file a Missing Persons Report with the Raleigh Police Department.
In addition to registering an emergency contact with the Office of Residence Life, students residing in on-campus housing have the option to identify confidentially an individual to be contacted by Meredith College in the event the student is determined to be missing for more than 24 hours. If a student has identified such an individual, the College will notify that person no later than 24 hours after the student is determined to be missing. Students who wish to identify a confidential contact may do so through adding the name and contact information on the emergency contact form completed by the student when moving into the on-campus residence, or by contacting the Office of Residence Life at 919-760-8633. A student’s confidential contact information will be accessible only by authorized campus officials as appropriate.
Ann Gleason, chair of Meredith’s Incident Response Team